Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So first of all, i will be putting upwards of 400hp/tq at the end of the winter so that has alot to do with wanting to rebuild. My trannys original(upwards of 200k kms) and 1st-2nd shift WILL grind with a high rpm shift. That and putting it into reverse requires the old 4th-reverse motion, while stopped, or it will grind heavy.

Question is, am I looking at a full tranny overhaul or is this a common occurance and possible fixable without spending an arm and a leg to rebuild the whole thing. Also, how many people rebuild these themselves? If its not bad to do i could possible do that. I've seen the rebuild kits on driftmotion. I belive im only looking at synchros but what other things should i be replacing while im in there? I've seen the upgraded 2nd-3rd(i belive?) thrust washer from BIC i think it was, would that be a good idea?

Thanks for the input

Matt.

·
2,260 Posts
Sent mine to Marlin Crawler for their race rebuild. Mostly because I didn't want to clean the case and get all dirty.

·
More Like GrayGoose89
763 Posts
i've searched also and people give a bunch of different opinions. mine does the same. if it's a quick shift it grinds. reverse does too. So i'm wanting to know if the rebuild kit, Marlin Crawler parts WITH the syncros will fix the issue for sure.

I also do about everything myself even if i havent done it before i'm really good about pulling things apart and putting back together. striped and rebuilt a couple cars down to frame and motor down to the block and then put back together. the only thing i havent gotten into was the tranny. but i think with enough time and being pretty fairly skilled,... i ask the same question.

Is this something i could do myself?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I have the Marlin Crawler goodies (ordered from Aaron/Driftmotion). Just cracked the spare tranny open today, to do a rebuild. Never tried it before.

I am doing everything myself. Sounds like some of your synchros may be worn (or not). If the tranny has to be removed, disassembled/reassembled, then you might as well do a full rebuild (while tranny out and accessible).

For the mileage and peace of mind... rebuild.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does a full rebuild include? as apposed to just changing some parts that would repair the grinding. Would i be changing all the synchros? i really need to do some research i guess, i dont know much about transmisions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looking to do the same in the Spring. Picked one up pretty cheap needing rebuilt, opened it to see what was broken and it luckily it was just the synchros. Doesn't look too bad as long as you have the TSRM to guide you... You will need a press to do it though.

I've been debating what rebuild kit to buy, full rebuild should have all new seals, bearings, and synchros and I've seen those sell from $300-$700. I've seen the Marlin rebuild selling for just under $600, and it has all of the above plus a billet 1st/2nd shift fork, upgraded thrust washer, Stronger carrier bearing retainer, also supposed to have different synchros for smoother shifting but don't know the details on what's different.

Seems easier than rebuilding a motor by the looks of it.....

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Yeah, a rebuild kit has all the seals, bearing, and synchros (including newly designed ones for gears 3-5) and is about $240.

I also got a few of the recommended upgrades/goodies, like the Billet Shift Fork, thrust Washer, and Marlin Chromoly Steel Bearing Retainer... came up to near $500 for everything.

I don't have a press and am going to try with the tools/pullers I have. If anything, I will take to a shop and have things pressed out/in (instead of buying a press, just for this project). Below are some helpful links I saved, while doing my research. I already came across a couple of things that I will add to the existing write ups.... and all I've done so far is open the tranny up and set into a vise. I am rebuilding a spare tranny which sounded like the front bearing failed. I am having synchro issues with the one in the car, so getting the replacement prepped for swap within the next couple of weeks.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/c-drivetrainbrakes.php

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/r151f/
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572603
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...154-Transmission-Rebuild-In-Progress-Pictures

·
Registered
998 Posts
good to see so many ppl doing this. Im sure i'll need to soon as well. Some one should take alot of pics of there rebuild and we could make a sticky on it :)

hope to see some good pics and results

·
KBR
2,910 Posts
might as well send your tranny to Marlin Crawler and be done with it.

aite, peace.

·
More Like GrayGoose89
763 Posts
I totally would send it to marlin crawler but i figure saving 700-800 is worth it to do it myself. and along the way learn how to work on transmissions.

I'll take pics of the whole process etc... is somebody could just post up some pics of pullers or the tools necessary to get the job done at home with out a shop press or puller that would be great.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
A few progress pics... I am trying to make notes with the pics, but have not had alot of time. So far, so good. I will need to be very creative to get through the rest of the disassemblywithout a press.

By the way, the magnet (MT-52, step 9), was covered w/grease and fine metal. What a PITA to clean up. Tells me there are many good reasons to open up the tranny, if you already have it out.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Did anyone of you guys kept blowing the rear tail shaft seal after a couple 170 mph pulls from from 4th to 5th gear i replaced the tail seal about 5 times.
When the seal blew the car was just all over the place very dangerous.
So now i am moving to the six speed because i got tired of replacing the seal and it's not safe i looked around SF but couldn't find the fix for that.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I found a small ball/bearing near everything, but dunno where it came from... Can't stress enough how meticulous and clean the assembly/disassembly area needs to be. Some of these parts are small and stick to the gear/shaft and fall out, when you move things around. Keep a lookout for the small things like this, as you disassemble. I will have to figure out where that one went later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Figured i would post up my experience with Marlin Crawler. I sent them my transmission for their full rebuild. The nice part about them doing it is they inspect everything which is a step that might be skipped due to not having the right tools at home. I ended up having to replace a gear ($$ from toyota) and I also had a bent 1-2 shift hub. They were nice enough to replace that for free from one of their cores. all in all I think it is a good option for those not wanting to tackle it themselves.

·
More Like GrayGoose89
763 Posts
^^^ ya i would love to send it in to Marlin Crawler for all those reasons but i feel since my tranny only has 53,462 original miles i think a heavy duty rebuild is sufficient and more worth saving the extra $900 i would have to fork out by sending it in and having them do it.

dont get me wrong if you got the money and really dont wanna mess with it MC would be the best route.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
If I really needed the tranny NOW, I might consider sending out to rebuild. This is just stuff us "hobbyists" like to do. Just like with my engine, there's a sense of pride & self-satisfaction I get knowing I put it together myself.

Also, MC has a great reputation!! Unlike some of the local shops that, some of us end up having to use from time to time. Some ppl don't have the tools/garage, or other resources and have to rely on whatever shop they can get their car towed to.

In my case, I KNOW what's really in there and what was done.

UPDATE: A nearby neighbor is going to let me use his press today. I gotta get this stuff organized/ready!

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
For those who replaced their synchros, my new ones are not marked/labeled, so I am assuming that the 3 smaller ones are the same size and the 2 larger ones are also the same size. Does this mean that I can just use them where needed, or is there some obvious way to tell which should be used for each specific gear?

·
Toyota Master Tech
1,449 Posts
Did anyone of you guys kept blowing the rear tail shaft seal after a couple 170 mph pulls from from 4th to 5th gear i replaced the tail seal about 5 times.
When the seal blew the car was just all over the place very dangerous.
So now i am moving to the six speed because i got tired of replacing the seal and it's not safe i looked around SF but couldn't find the fix for that.
your trans sounds like it needs a rebuild, mostly bearings will cause that issue as the output shaft is moving around under load.

·
Toyota Master Tech
1,449 Posts
For those who replaced their synchros, my new ones are not marked/labeled, so I am assuming that the 3 smaller ones are the same size and the 2 larger ones are also the same size. Does this mean that I can just use them where needed, or is there some obvious way to tell which should be used for each specific gear?
they are the same just match them up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts