Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All -

As many of you have just rec'd...i too got my new issue of Turbo mag today and what do I read in their "Project Scerious"?

They had a TT 6spd with a messed up 3rd gear syncho - they send it to The Race Shop in Torrance, CA (310-398-1068) to be rebuilt.

Most surprising is they stated components from the new BMW 6spd tranny are a direct replacement for the 6spd Getrag Tranny. Any additional info or thoughts on this?

Jay

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
quick said:
So BMW uses Getrag as a tranny supplier?
Ja!

Getrag Trannies

I think Getrag and BMW have a long history of colloboration. Getrag and BMW worked together to deveop the SMG and Getrag trannies are used in M cars and the Z8.

Here's a pic of a Getrag 5 speed being hoisted into a BMW

HERE

·
Registered
763 Posts
It is very much a possibility. I was at the Porsche/BMW dealer today and one of my friends is a Porche mechanic there and he said the newer twin turbo Porches also have a 6 speed Getrag tranny from the factory.

-pete

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm....all very interesting - looks like these things can be rebuilt effectively after all. Good Stuff....

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hrmm anychance you could scan the article for me? I've just blown 2nd and 3rd gear syncro!!

·
You Can [Not] Advance
2,871 Posts
Magic said:
It is very much a possibility. I was at the Porche/BMW dealer today and one of my friends is a Porche mechanic there and he said the newer twin turbo Porches also have a 6 speed Getrag tranny from the factory.

-pete
I thought Porsche uses its own G50 tranny for the 911 cars.

If im wrong then sorry

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Why bother when Curt at Elmhurst can get you the proper parts? I ordered my synchros, hub and 2nd gear from him.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
6spd with a messed up 3rd gear syncho
:doh:

I managed to get myself a messed up 3rd gear synchro.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andi said:
Umm NO. The C5 has a POS Tremec gearbox, not the wonderful Getrag box.

Andi

Right on...a friend of mine in NJ - must be on his 3rd 6spd tranny - granted he runs 10.80s - but still....

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OVRBST said:
:doh:

I managed to get myself a messed up 3rd gear synchro.
Ouch, what happened man? Is it grinding, pops out what symptoms?

·
Registered
763 Posts
ReI86 said:
I thought Porsche uses its own G50 tranny for the 911 cars.

If im wrong then sorry
The one he showed me yesterday had Getrag stamped right on the tranny. Also, the G50 is a Getrag tranny. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts