Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Broke Supra Addicted Fool
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing how search is down I am curious if the MKIV Rod, Main, & Head Stud kits are compatible with the 1jz block? Also I have heard that you can use 2jz forged pistons in the 1jz block is this true? If 2jz pistons do work which pistons should I go with? JE's Ross Arias... are any of them that much better than the other?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
the ARP bolts are compatible. The 2JZ pistons can be used I believe, but why would you want to change to 2JZ pistons? What are your power goals? The 1JZ stock will handle everything you could possibly want.

·
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My goal is to have a very reliable 450-500whp. To get any 1jz pistons that arent used will take much longer than 2jz pistons is my current thinking.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Why would you want to get new pistons? Did you blow them or something? Just get a used short block or something and have a machine shop work it and put it back together. I have put down 862rwhp on a 1JZ and it has been running for over a year now on stock block. Your hp goal is very easily handled by stock internals. Our 1JZ motors are not Honda's.

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
You can get a long block for $700-$800 all day long. Yes, it is used but they still hold up very well. I would never rebuild a 1J. If I was going to put the money into rebuilding something for serious horsepower, the 1J would have to be replaced with the 2J.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Do you have a dyno sheet for that? What mods?

I couldn't see your name on the top jz dyno list.

Any track results?

Its not my car, I built it for a buddy of mine down here in Florida. He's an older guy and likes imports and takes it out ever once in a while. It's up to him to put his name up there, but I bet I'm not the highest, there are some guys from Puerto Rico, Australia, and Europe that have done better. The guys name is Jerry, I have not spoken with him in a LONG time, I'll see if I can get him to come on the forums for you guys and have him post his dyno results. But as far as mods, just for starters.

1JZ Stock block
1JZ Built Head with 1.1mm oversized valves on custom 272 cams
- the motor revs to 9000 all day.
AEM stand alone
Gt-42R Turbo
Custom manifold and exhaust
1000cc Injectors
Dual Walbro's
Built R154 Tranny (this was a bitch, but so worth it)
and lots of TUNING!!!

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
info on the built r154?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Not really built in a sense that it was straight cut gears or anything. But I would have to say a lot more built that compared to others. The transmission was completed taken apart, re-fitted with new syncros, seals, and bearings. The bearing from the rebuild kit are nice, cause they are new, but thats all they are good for. I have seen the bearing get smashed. So I took all the bearing and contact a bearing truck company to see if they had some heavy duty ones that would match. They were able to match all of them up for heavy duty bearings. The thrust washer was re-made in titanium and everything that was made of metal was cryo-treated, including the casing to the transmission. The clutch fork was also re-made from CNC machined aluminum. So far the transmission has been put through a lot of abuse and nothing has broken. I noticed that the transmission going from first to second is knotchy, yet exact and you can down shift with no problems. I told the transmission guy to rebuild the transmission with good tight tolerances and I think that made a great deal of difference. That is about it, I have dropped the clutch in at 5k for burnout and such and the transmission holds. I think everyone that want to rebuild there R154 should do it this way, if you build it, it should be built right the first time. I personally dont want to go this route, thus my project, I'm going with the Solstice Transmission which is nearly identical but it my opinion much better than our old 80's transmission cause refinements have been made on that transmission since ours came out.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thanks for the info. Spaniard.

The most powerful 1jz in australia was the cressida running a dead stock internals engine including cams, gt42R, 40hp nos. trap speed of 137mph and 3440lbs equals 700rwhp. This car only revs to 7200rpm.

In Peurto Rico, the only cars I know of are Gaddiel's. [email protected] 3100lb Mk3. equates to 752rwhp.

[email protected] ae86. estimated race weight 2500lbs? Equates to 658rwhp.

AFAIK both of Gaddiel's cars use stock internals including cams. Don't know if n2o was used but he did say he dropped the boost sometimes and ran n2o instead to go a bit easier n the turbos.

So it looks like this car of your mates should bloody well fly!

Any info. on quick 1jz's in Europe? I haven't heard of any.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you are looking for a complete longblock....I have one from soarer 40k miles

Im located in Miami,FL....:wavey:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
This is great. Just how the forum should work. Discussion and problem solving. I hate it when a thread goes sour. Sorry, off-topic.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Some good info Spaniard. Get that guy to get his Dyno on here. Those are some amazing numbers.

Oh and more info on the Soltice's tranny, I havent heard of this yet.

·
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input everybody, kinda changed my plans a bit. I will still be having my 1jz rebuilt but I am gonna focus more money on head flow than on tougher bottom end pieces.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Serzy, that is a good idea. The 1JZ head has so much potential, cams alone will boost you a lot of hp.

The Solstice tranny has already been done, it's over at Supramania.com. The transmission is the same as ours basically, and little modification must be made to make it fit. That transmission is used on the Mallet Performance V8 LSx Solstice cars. The basic Mallet Performance Solstice makes 400hp and 415tq at the wheels and the Solstice transmission un-modified holds that torque and horsepower all day without error and is as smooth as a Civic transmission. I called up Mallet back in the day to ask them more about the transmission and they said they leave it stock except for the clutch, flywheel and adapter to the LSx engine. And they guarantee it for up to a year I believe. I also asked them if they have had any people break that transmission, and they said no one yet. There is a Solstice with a LSx motor that is Supercharged which I can only get in upwards of 500-600hp and still uses that transmission without error still.

I think everyone that knows about this conversion either, doesn't want to get into the custom work (which there isn't much) or two doesn't want to make the expense because they don't know if the transmission will hold the power. But it is obvious that it is, because it already has.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Turns out what lead to my knocking noise is a set of sparkplugs that got destroyed due to detonation and the pieces from the #6 sparkplug chewed up the top of the head & the top of the piston and also are making that cylinder knock... So now that I do need new pistons does anybody have any recomendations. I have been thinking about Mahle pistons as they sound nice but any personal experience would be nice. Also are the ARP bolts worth it for the bottom end or is the toyota stuff more than adequate? Can you reuse toyotas bottom end bolts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
<-- serzy posting from brothers account

I do have HKS 264 cams already btw.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Just get stock pistons for christ sake! omg. Stock is fine for just about 90% of us, the other 10% are boosting 30+ psi and racing. The Toyota bolts are very adequate just tighten them well, I like to triple check my bolts when I go to torque them down. I used ARP's up top on my head, cause I like to boost big and wanted a tight without a doubt seal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts