Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt my motor, was knocking, wrapped everything up today (2 month project) and tried to start it... and nothing - tries to crank but dont. I pulled the front cover, checked timing, all good.... checked CPS... and it lines up perfectly as it should. This car was running fine - just knocking- before I did this. I checked the plugs, and the #1 plug is black sooty. All the rest are soaked with gas. I have double checked everything, pulled the easier plugs to get to, and watched them spark when shoved in the wire - compression is good - If I have fire, compression and fuel... why is it not running????

One time the car did not want to crank and I wiggled the CBS harness and it started working - but I have wiggled now and nothing. I removed the cap and checked alignment - I dont' get it. The car is over an hour away from the nearest toyota dealership.... and since it ran before... nothing should have changed. I did have to unplug the injectors to swap a blown intake gasket... could one of these be wrong? They look color coded grey/red grey red etc....

I 'm extremely pissed... not only is this motor a Banjo Work to repair, but Its I am clueless on how to repair it now. Timing good, spark from coils, plugs are all wet, and the #1 plug sooty black - any ideas?

btw - It wont' even try to hit a lick unless you hold your foot to the floor... like its getting flooded - but compression checks good - Please Please help if you have any ideas. ... Or else its haul it to Toyota - which i hate to do. Hell I'm mech. inclined and rebuilt lots of motors.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Check your CPS wires... make sure that even tho the connectors are together, that you "push" each of the wires together thru the connector. The wires/connectors get brittle over time and the wire-ends do not always make contact within the connectors. I ended up "hardwiring" mine on my 87T.... If that does not work... slice open one of the wires and see if it's green-corroded. Copper get's Fed up and you'll have to replace the harness eventually, from chasing "ghost" issues like this, related to an old, corroded harness. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
One question, how can you check the timing without starting the engine? You can check that all the marks on the crank pulley, cam gears and the CPS are alligned properly, but you cant actually check the ignition timing. Even if you get someone to crank it while you're checking it with the timing light, it's gonna show you shit because the car needs to IDLE at 650 rpm for an accurate readout. Shouldnt matter though, because the car should start even with the timing WAY off.. mine starts and runs with anywhere from 30 retard to 30 advance.

What do you mean by "CPS alligned perfectly" ? It shouldnt be alligned perfectly with the "zero" mark actually, with all the marks on crank pulley and cam gears at "zero", CPS should be one tooth to the right of the zero mark.

The reason its not starting is probably something small. Did you check if the engine throws any codes? Double check all the ground wires, especially the small one from the coil pack to the head. Make sure that all the wires from the coil packs go to the correct plugs (esp 3 and 4, its easy to mess them up). Same for the injectors, make sure that they are all plugged in correctly. Finally check for any loose hoses and connectors that you might've forgotten to plug in putting the engine in. Double check the connector on the coil pack, if its not plugged in properly, the car will crank but never start. Check the EFI fuse too!

Black spark plugs is usually a sign of running too rich, weird since your car isnt running at all. Plugs covered in gas is perfectly normal though since your engine doesnt run, the fuel doesnt burn. If you're using the stock FPR , make sure that the bolt on it's top isnt too far out, that would lead to very low fuel pressure. On a some cars i saw that bolt unbolting by itself from vibrations causing the fuel pressure to be too low(BAD!) .

Good luck !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies....

After leaving the car... and thinking on it... I have some things to check over. I am pretty sure that everything is connected. Even the grounds under the Intake - although I did have those off to replace the intake gasket. I really feel that its going to be the harness at the CPS. As I stated before... one day my car wouldnt start and I wiggled that one... and it started. I may hardwire them.... or atlease some quick-connects just to rule that out. By timing being perfect I meant all the perfect alignment of teeth marks on cams, crank pulley and CPS.

Whats really odd... is that I can pull a spark plug out, snap it in the plug wire and see spark go across the gap. So its like I'm getting fire ... but not when I put them in the head. I'm going to re-check all the fuses... even the ones inside the car and maybe even double ground (ground to the body) the grounds that are under the intake. I am very knowledgable about motors, turbo's etc... I just needed some of you guys input on this particular car since you have seen it before. I did some searching on this problem... and it seems the wires for the CPS is a common problem... which I am hoping hardwiring will correct.

Thanks for the input... and I will let you know.
Danny

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still clueless

Well, I've double checked everything, and all looks ok. Still cranks over, and check the plugs, their wet. I can stick a spark plug in the boot, lay it close to the intake and see that it fires.

It fires, but maybe its not has strong as it should be. I am really dumbfounded - I really need some help on this. It doesn't even try to crank.... fuel pump is working, grounds all hooked up, cam position wires check ok from one side of the conn. to the other. timing is set correctly.... and the cps is aligned just as the picture shows (hot link).

I checked all the fuses... everything is good. has compression on all 6 cylinders of about 130 psi.

I FEEL SO FREAKING HELPLESS on this car. I have spark, gas, compression so why isn't it cranking if the damn timing is good.

Does anyone want to help? I will pay money for someone that lives close to put their 2 cents in.

Guys with turbos... if you unplug a spark plug and put it in the boot.... how big of a spark do you see... and is it blue... the only thing I can figure is that the spark is not strong enough.

please please help

·
boosted for life
103 Posts
Im sure spark is fine I would adjust the timing till it starts mine did the same thing just pull out the cps and move it over a tooth. worked for us.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tried that...

I've went forward / backward....

I feel the spark is just weak.... its firing... but not igniting the fuel.

Anyone know where the online manual is????

·
MKIII Owner and Dam proud
367 Posts

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
Make sure your ignitor box is grounded well. It grounds itself to the bracket its attached to. I made the mistake of painting my ignotir box bracket, and therefore the ignotor wasnt making a ground.

·
Registered
408 Posts
hahaha, i had the same problem!! i was out of GAS! i was on a slight hill and the guage said i had just above 1/8th of a tank. i added one gallon and whammo......problem solved. oh and definetly check timming when it starts to idle. use a timing light. just because its at tdc doesnt mean its timed!

good luck bro. check and recheck. dianogstics are $$$$

·
Registered
335 Posts
there could be one more thing u can try to check
make sure your car alarm(factory) is disabled.
reading it seem to me ur car is turbo so i can't help u out with the cps problem, but my car had the same problem even though it was NA.
i got everything working but it just crank over and over, realized my alarm was armed it wouldn't allow me to fire up the car.

all u need to do is lok the driver side from inside, use the key and open the passenger side door and use the key to open the driver side door, this will disarm ur car alarm and should fire right up.

D

·
0 Posts
i have rebuilt my engine a couple of times, and had this problem everytime

add some gas(even if u have 1/4 tank add a gallon or so)

check to be sure your cam position sensor is set with the timing marks when u installed it
it took me 2 weeks to figure this out(first rebuild).

best of luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
You mentioned that you had to take out the injectors, are you sure that you have the right plugs on the right injectors. If you have them out of order they will still spray gas just not at the right time.

Scott

D

·
0 Posts
i understand your theory, but if that was the case it would start , but quit immediately

i think its the cam position sensor
there is a mark on the sensor that has to be aligned and inserted a certain way when the crank and cams are at top dead center.
i would guess 100/1 thats your problem

or bad ground i have had that problem too.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts