Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

· SupraStar
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rebuilded stock turbos, what do you think (pics)?

Hey,

I just got my twins back from a total rebuild/uppgrading.
I would be glad to hear your thoughts about them and what you think I can expect from them.
The stock exhaust manifold is ported and flows 20% better than stock.
My aim is around 480 rwhp with stock MAF and fuel.
I have BPU+++ with HKS Type S FMIC

Here´s the first picture

· Registered
71 Posts
Ok due to my late night posting I will try and reword what I was trying to say. I apologize for my 3rd grade grammer.. :)

Upgrade options to stock turbos consist of.

Using larger wheels on the stock turbine and compressor housings and therefore the housings are milled to accept the the larger wheels.

The problem with milling the compressor housing is that the some of the defuser section of the compressor housing is taken away. The compressor blade are meant to be used with a specific housing size or atleast a recommended size. And when they are not, do not provide optimal results. Thus the bigger compressor wheels with higher efficiency will produce some good results however not optimal results. For example putting a T04E or T04B compressor wheel in a t2 compressor housing will provide less than optimal results.

So as long as you don't get carried away in putting in some huge wheels in small housings you will get good results.

In closing what my point is that you can easily get 500RWHP out of stock upgrade turbos and have some good results especially since you are able to maintain a sequential turbo setup.

· Registered
39 Posts
Carlos Ramirez said:
Most rebuilt stock turbos that use bigger blades usually do that being reducing the defused section. This causes the blade to more efficient however the air temps do tend to go up a bit and turbo lag becomes more evident. However there is very done on upgraded stock Supra turbos. But I do think you will get some very noticable results and if you keep them sequential you will be happy with the results.

Good luck and post what your results are.
Wow... Can someone grammatically translate this nonsense for me?

I've heard mixed things about rebuilt stock turbos... Let us know how it turns out.

G

·
looks great I must say!
when I took my stock turbo out and put it beside a big single turbo Irealized how small stock turbos are and wonder how hot it gets....
good luck with your new turbos, keep us posted on the result.

· SupraStar
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zerosoul said:
looks great I must say!
when I took my stock turbo out and put it beside a big single turbo Irealized how small stock turbos are and wonder how hot it gets....
good luck with your new turbos, keep us posted on the result.
Thanks!

The stock turbos look really small compared to my new turbos :)
Even though they are bigger, they seem to fit very well in the stock location in the engineroom.

I have to rebuild the end of each pipe that goes in and out of the compressor housing, to make them fit. Shouldn´t be that big of a problem.
I also have to make new lines for water and oil.
Hopefully, thats all that needs to be done.

I´ll get back to you...soon

· Turbocharger Engineer
774 Posts
Hmm interesting that you have done the upgrade to the stockers. I've read that it couldn't be done. I would imagine with a ported manifold , it should spool the slightly larger turbine and compressor wheels right up. If I may ask, how much did the turbo upgrade cost???

Jose

· SupraStar
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to tell you that the company that rebuilded them said that each turbo was good for about 330 hp.
The compressorpart is a Garret T28 with 2835 something.
They mentioned something about HKS using same stuff in their dual turbokit for Supra, the HKS 2835.

I´ll let you know what it cost when it´s all done.
If it doesn´t work out well, I would be too embarrassed waisting that money for nothing.

Mr Sweden. Could you perhaps refresh my memory :)

· SupraStar
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Krister said:
Tomsid, have you already installed the turbos? If not why the hell not?!? :D

-Krister-
They are not installet yet :(
I´m waiting for a guy to complete the rebuild of the pipes going in and out of the compressor housings and I´m also waiting for new oil and water hoses.

I´m hoping that it´s all done at the end of November.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.