Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
SupraStar
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This project is moving forward and I hope I will be able to fit the new turbos, hoses, pipes over Christmas and hopefully do a little testrun, if the weather permits it.

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
Yeah Tom.. Whats up with the project??

Did you get my E-Mail? I was asking about the H&R Coilovers and a few other things. PM or E-Mail me please.

-Krister-

·
SupraStar
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Krister said:
Yeah Tom.. Whats up with the project??

Did you get my E-Mail? I was asking about the H&R Coilovers and a few other things. PM or E-Mail me please.

-Krister-
I will have more info on the projekt in the beginning of next week. Will post some pictures too.

Krister, I didn´t recieve any mail from you. Would you please try again to this adress [email protected]

Nice Supra you got yourself :D

·
SupraStar
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
kzsupra1 said:
Any updates?
No, sorry.

They guy who´s modifying stock the in- and outletpipes of the compressorhousing is taking some time. I havn´t recieved them yet.
Apperently, the only thing left on them are the polishing part. I wanted them nice and shiny. The pipes should be done any day now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tom,

How are ya man? Haven't talked to ya in a long while... I'd love to see the results of this too and good luck with the install!

Anish

·
SupraStar
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The pipes are ready and everything accept for the oil lines will be fitted on wednesday this week. I will take some pictures of the whole setup.´After this long wait, I´m very excited :D

Anish: Thanks and nice to hear from you. How are you? And as we say in Sweden: God fortsattning.
It means good wishes with the new year (kinda)

Greetings from a frozen Sweden with -20-25 degrees Celsius

·
Stock Twins King
4,404 Posts
Thanks Tom for re-routing me to your thread here. I have read up on everything, and I fully understand what you are up too.
I am curious on "How" you ported your manifold? I am asking because the way we ported mine was by welding "up" the stocker, so we had enough "meat" to port out. Our exhaust ports are now almost twice the size. I assume you just "lightly" ported yours to get the additional 20%?
We will port match my head as well to the exhaust manifold.
I will give your specs on the turbos to my mechanic, because we have not got quite that far yet. I do know, that he is talking about re-doing some of the piping as you have mentioned. Also he is talking about running new oil, or water lines as well. Sounds like you and I are doing a very similar project here. Our goal is to achieve 500 rwhp+ on 100 octane at 19-20 psi.
Any other hints would be appreciated.
\Another tool I have just purchased that I will install, is the "Fields Sequential Controller" which will have the ability to adjust where the transistion point is between #1 and 2 turbo. I am keeping my system in sequential, and anticipate the ability to be fully spooled at 2200rpm.

·
SupraStar
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey Stu,
My porting was done the "light" way, machined out material from the inside of the manifold. As much as we could so it still matches the heads outlets. Nothing is done to the head.
A friend of mine thought of the idea of making a plate (some 0,8-1") to fit between the head and the exhaust manifold (just like the manifold gasket, but thicker) to make the exhoust manifold hold more volume of exhaust. He a race car expert and he said that a small thing like that could actually make a difference in EGT etc.
The downside of that would be that the turbos would be moved slighly more to the right side (from the view if you´re in the car) and we might have problems fitting them and the downpipe/exhaust system. So we will not do that mod.
I´m making my turbos work parallell and hoping for a little longer lifespan on them by doing that. There are som backdrops of that but I think I can cope with them.

Havn´t mentioned that yet but the stock turbo heatshield is used, though slightly modified. Fits perfect.

Our projects seems very similar as you described yours. I will keep posting here every new step of the way to let you

The more I wait the more worried I get that this was a bad and unessesary hard thing to do. I honestly don´t know how this is going to turn out. Time will tell... I´ll keep you posted.

S

·
0 Posts
I'll chip in for Tom that has tons of work to do, he is a computernerd you see :D

The turbos are fitted, everything looks great and should be up and running soon! I'll think he will be surprised with all the new power as well :)

·
Stock Twins King
4,404 Posts
Tom

You "hit" the nail right in buddy!
"JEESHH" why am I doing this!!! and what if it is a dissater!!!!

What people don't realize is HOW much goes into this, time wise. not to mention the down time. I am lucky only becasue I bought everything seperately. Like I have an extra head, exhaust mani, turbos, and everything. So when it is all done, I just drop it in with about one day down time for my car.

I am going a bit farther with the head porting and all/ There is an EXCELLENT article in T04.com, on the 2JZ Head and its characteristics. A must reading for the enthusiest.

Also, everything needs to be done together, or portmatched. No sense doing one thing that creates a backlash in another.
Like too much flow for this, or not enough for that, because you'd be wasting your time doing like the turbos. because nothing else would suppliment them. The Supra is a well engineered car, and is all in one package. You change one thing, it effects all the others.

So we are 1) oversizing the turbos, which then creates...
2)oversizing the exhaust manifold to match the turbo flow
3) port matching the head to the exhaust manifold
4)changing the lift characterisitcs of the cams to match
5)changing the fuel delivery to keep up.....
YIKES. where does it end!

Well, keep us posted, If yours is a success, then I am sure mine will be too!

PS What *IS* your goal? rwhp wise

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Tomsid, I've been reading this thread with some interest to see how things turn out for you. However, I was quite surprised to hear that you're planning on running TTC mode. Isn't the whole point of this trouble to get more power out of the stock system while retaining its sequential operation (and therefore low end punch)? I mean in TTC mode you're basically getting the behaviour of small single. Why not just run a small single and save all this work (and I'm guessing money)?

·
SupraStar
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
TTC for making the 2:nd turbo live longer
Everything has cost like a T-78 kit so far.
It´s started as a stock turbo rebuild and then I got carried away :)

Right now the pipes are being polished. We have measured all oil- and waterlines (steelbraided) so they will be ready soon too I hope.

Heres a picture of turbos and exhaust manifold installed

·
Stock Twins King
4,404 Posts
Shawn,
I agree with you totally on keeping sequential. I see Tom is on another path. As for me, the ONLY reason why I am going this route is because I want that low end punch of the sequential. I have purchased a "Fields Sequential Controller" to aid us in getting full 18 psi at 2200psi. In other words, we can dial in (hopefully) 2200rpm, have the #1 be spooled at 18psi, so when it opens up, there won't be a huge drop-off from #2 being already spooled at 18psi. The biggest problem with the stock twins, is that most boost controllers work on the #2 turbo first, then back to #1. So if you spool up #2 to 18psi, then when #1 kicks in, it's factory setttings only allow it to spool to 11psi. When this happens, you get that lose of power, and hence the typical "twins" HP curve. Although I wonder how effective 300-400rwhp will be at 2500 rpm?

21 - 40 of 133 Posts