1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
Thanks for sharing Nick. Your car (and BOV during shift) looked and sounded great in the short video. Both yours and jam98tt's car had front mount IC's. Did you notice any cooling problems now that you're single? How much boost were you running that day?

-Dan

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan,
some people don't like the HKS SSQV bov sound but so far I like it, if I let off at mild throttle/boost it doesn't make as aggressive/high pitched of a blow off as when WOT ...but if I tire of it I'll replace it; of course these motors sound great when rev'd and we all should know that; since this is the only single turbo I've had I don't have much comparison, but every time I hear my turbo really spool up I think "F16 jet" ...which I like a lot :) though I have noticed it scares people as I pass them with the turbo screaming loudly; not sure how much of that is the HKS 60mm GT wastegate.

Erven was in the novice group, his first track day, so I don't think he drove "as hard as possible". He didn't have any cooling problems that I know of. I think his FMIC is the Apexi and he has a BL67 kit and an aftermarket radiator though I don't recall which one; he also runs meth spray but I don't know how high his boost went for this or how much he sprayed, I'll see if I can get him to look here and answer for himself ...here's his webshots page with lots of pics so some of his hardware info is in there http://community.webshots.com/user/montegobay1100

The only temp gauge I had while I was BPU was the factory engine temp gauge and that always sat dead center so I never suspected a problem. Now I wonder what my oil temps were with the BPU setup and stock SMIC after a few hard laps.

I ran 17psi that day since I only had 93 octane. Now that I have the single and FMIC I also installed an oil temp gauge; well to my surprise my factory engine temp gauge is still sitting dead center even at the end of hard laps but my oil temp gauge was up to 285F so I'm now adding an oil cooler; I saw your write-up and others so I'm just planning my parts now; I plan to put it into the driver's side bumper opening unless that proves to be a problem, along with a filter relocation plate with oil cooler connections and a thermostat. I already have a ps cooler though I never felt like I need it, but during my FMIC install we moved my ps lines and overflow tank.

·
Registered
590 Posts
"The only temp gauge I had while I was BPU was the factory engine temp gauge and that always sat dead center so I never suspected a problem. Now I wonder what my oil temps were with the BPU setup and stock SMIC after a few hard laps"

for the record we have found that the factory temp gauge doesn't move from the center PERIOD. we have logged 220+F coolant temps with the factory gauge telling the driver everything is fine..Put a quality coolant temp and oil temp gauge as step one before you head out to the track if you can. you will be surprised. But not in a good way.
Eric Kozeluh
Twins Turbo INC.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Eric. Since you're a true hardcore racer, I appreciate your nice comments about our fun little track days ...I know they're not really "racing" though we still have a lot of fun.

Btw Eric, I'm looking back at your posts showing the swirl pot setup you guys made for Steve's Supra, and when I saw that I did some more research on swirl pots, so I wonder if that concept would help normalize engine coolant temps in a basically street setup Supra running these track days?

Also, compared to oil only, I wonder if anybody here has positive experience with reduced oil temps when using a water cooled bearing on the turbo? Somebody at the track suggested to me that this would help a lot but I'm skeptical.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
I put two SSQV's on my car over the winter (formerly had one, which was plenty for my small setup). I really like how well they function. Though I'm surprized that they don't sound the same as each other. One tends to "giggle" more at part throttle shifts than the other.

I assume you must have a dump tube on your HKS wasgetage to be scaring people <grin>. A friend of mine (former Supra owner) rode in my car and was so disapointed to hear (or "not hear") that my wastegate was re-routed to the exhaust.

That's great to hear about your temps (coolant anyway) staying reasonable. Though Eric has some great insight about the stock gauge. I plan to add oil pressure, temp, and coolant temp gauges to the car this year before I turn up the boost on the track. I was only running 12 psi last year and ran pretty short lapping sessions.

For projects I see at work, the coolant swirl pots have always made a significant difference. In the engine lab I have more than enough cooling w/o the pots, but as installed on the vehicles the teams see a large gain in capacity from using the swirl pot. Since I'm still using the stock fan on the Supra, I haven't yet figured out a slick way to add one, but I sure liked what the Twins did on Steve's car! Certainly something to consider if coolant temps are getting out of hand.

I don't have anything terribly useful about water-cooled turbo housings. Any heat that gets rejected from the oil is going to go back in to the coolant. I suppose if you had no oil cooler options (and excess capacity in your radiator) then it would certainly help. But since adding an oil cooler on our cars is relatively easy the main benefit of a cooled center section would probably be reducing the local oil temps in/leaving the turbo. One has to expect that post-turbo oil temps are *well* above the 285°F you were seeing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts