Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Needing to buy myself an electronic boost controller and just looking for recomendations and opinions on whats around. Probably looking at these more than others, but will take note of recomendations.

Apexi PowerFC boost control kit
Apexi AVC-R
HKS EVC 5
Blitz i-color
Turbosmart E-Boost2
GReddy PRofec e-01
Greddy ProfecB spec II
Blitz SBC Spec R

Looking for things like ease of use, quality of memory (not going to lose all settings if battery is switched off for 30mins?), how well it will hold boost, amount of functions?

Thanks for the help.

Dan.

·
Doin' the Monster Mash
156 Posts
Stay away from the AVCR, I had one in my old Supra and it never held boost - it got to the point where it would overboost even WORSE with the boost controller turned on at maximum duty cycle than if I just left it off.

I'm not up on all the controllers you listed, but for me, I would recommend to always go for a dual solenoid controller for that extra performance.

Also the I-Colour is severly overpriced seeing as the difference between it and the lower spec model is simply the colour screen for $500 difference.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You cannot go wrong with Blitz... they are the height of quality.

I had a DSBC in my last Supra and I have the SBC-ID III currently... and should I ever need another one it will be another Blitz.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
You cannot go wrong with Blitz... they are the height of quality.

I had a DSBC in my last Supra and I have the SBC-ID III currently... and should I ever need another one it will be another Blitz.
yep i have heard nothing but great things about the blitz SBC ID III and i just picked up a brand new one couple minutes ago in the for sale section :)

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stay away from the AVCR, I had one in my old Supra and it never held boost - it got to the point where it would overboost even WORSE with the boost controller turned on at maximum duty cycle than if I just left it off.

I'm not up on all the controllers you listed, but for me, I would recommend to always go for a dual solenoid controller for that extra performance.

Also the I-Colour is severly overpriced seeing as the difference between it and the lower spec model is simply the colour screen for $500 difference.
Got a quote on the i-color for AU$598 delivered from Greenline Japan which seems to be about half the price of most Australian and American dealers. So price isn't a huge worry for me, the difference in price between all these models seems to be between $150AU-$300AU with some good price hunting.

Dan.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I agree with above Blitz comments. While it's the only ebc I've ever owned so I have no first hand comparison/experience with others, I've had my Blitz SBCiD for I think about five years now and still like it a lot, it never let me down and I also like how it looks.

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
I vote for either BLitz or HKS. Yeah i know those are like the more expensive ones, but its controlling your turbos. I've had the Blitz SBC-id and now got the HKS EVC5. Only reason i changed was because i didnt have anything blitz on my car til i got the controller. The blitz has ALOT of options which is really cool but honestly i never used or even looked at most of them 95% of the time. The HKS is a little more simple to use; 2 knobs and your done. But you cant go wrong with either company.

Got a buddy who had the Greddy one and hated it.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
I personally think all electric ones are a waste of money. A good MBC does the job just fine. Save your money to spend elsewhere on the car.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
The better MBC's are a good option and I've even been tempted due to simplicity and reliability and control stability. But a MBC makes it a little harder to guess the right boost setting change if you do that; on my Blitz I have channel 1 for 93 pump and channel 2 and 3 for higher octane/higher boost; each channel also has independent gain control so you can control how fast it spools up; with higher boost I may want to run more or less gain than at lower boost. With a MBC you have no gain control, you just get what you get. But if you have no interest in the adjustments I agree you might as well go with a MBC.

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I personally think all electric ones are a waste of money. A good MBC does the job just fine. Save your money to spend elsewhere on the car.
Sorry but I'm kind of on the edge of what I can do on stock internals so I disagree with this. Coming into winter here, if I get a spike my engine is gone, and with the levels I'm running on my manual boost controller was about as worthwhile as running off the wastegate.

Dan.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
For me, EBC peak control was too variable with temp and load. I use MBC not to save money, but because it gives exactly the same peak boost whether its 20 or 90 degrees, 2nd gear or 6th.

Also it took only a little experimentation to learn exactly how many turns of the nut gives 2 more psi. Also there are dual MBC set-ups - switch between for different octanes.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I run a Hallman Pro RX MBC. Works excellent!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I vote for either BLitz or HKS. Yeah i know those are like the more expensive ones, but its controlling your turbos. I've had the Blitz SBC-id and now got the HKS EVC5. Only reason i changed was because i didnt have anything blitz on my car til i got the controller. The blitz has ALOT of options which is really cool but honestly i never used or even looked at most of them 95% of the time. The HKS is a little more simple to use; 2 knobs and your done. But you cant go wrong with either company.

Got a buddy who had the Greddy one and hated it.[/
QUOTE]

Damn guess it doesnt look good for me

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
MBC are fine...if you set your boost at one level and leave it. They also should be mounted as close to the wastegate as possible, meaning under the hood.

HKS EVC EZ II is my personal choice. Simple, accurate, and holds high boost.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts