Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
...pop the hood!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have racked up over 200k mile on my current daily - an 05 x-runner. gonna keep it, but looking for something different this time around. im open to suv's, crossovers, sedans, hatches....something i can transport stuff back and fourth between business locations. new or used (low mileage). budget - $20-25k.

the criteria:

1. awd (never owned one)

2. good / great gas mileage (80-100 miles a day)

3. prefer manual

4. something fun / turbo a plus

5. import preferred, but open to domestics

6. reliable / low maint.

7. need to be able to carry a few boxes / totes

8. no bmw's

thanks in advance for the suggestions...

·
Hardtopper
2,468 Posts
My wife's 2013 G37x has been a great car for her/us and ticks most of the boxes. It's surprisingly quick, fun to drive and handles well. Good mileage (though requires premium), zero maintenance/reliability issues in the 4 years and 55k miles we've owned it. Good sized back seat for storage or 2 adults and a large trunk.

·
...pop the hood!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife's 2013 G37x has been a great car for her/us and ticks most of the boxes. It's surprisingly quick, fun to drive and handles well. Good mileage (though requires premium), zero maintenance/reliability issues in the 4 years and 55k miles we've owned it. Good sized back seat for storage or 2 adults and a large trunk.

2013 Audi S3 used
thanks guys...

those are 2 cars that were not on my radar, so I'm gonna check them out.

·
...pop the hood!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looking at the wrx sti's

any feedback?

·
...pop the hood!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mileage on the STI's isnt going to be great, I have owned both an sti and evo. I much prefered the Evo but the mileage was pretty eh on both. Very fun year round car though.
really? the mpg ratings looked good online.

was looking at evo's also because they pop up when researching sti's. what is it you liked better about them?

·
Registered
363 Posts
For starters it didn't burn oil, and i wasn't worried about blowing it up or at least popping head gaskets with basic bolt-ons :D.

Mechanically the Evo's drivetrain is superior imo. Mine was making 360whp 350tq and was completely reliable for a daily and on the stock clutch. Although somewhat basic I loved the recaros and found the car comfortable in general. The interior is pretty simplistic and the finishes aren't much to write home about I think the STI's interior felt slightly nicer appearance wise but the Evo was a more fun car to drive.

Biggest complaint was it was not a car I would recommend if you spend a lot of time on the highway. It really needs a 6th gear to drop into and runs around 3k at 60 3.6k at 70. MPG wise I would get 25mpg highway and 15-18 city, STI was similar maybe a few mpg more on the highway with the 6th gear. "Good MPG" is subjective but I would not consider that good for a 4 cyl platform turbo or not.

Above 360ish in the evo you need to upgrade to a larger turbo and I would recommend a stronger clutch and upgrade the diff pins, also look at fuel mods over 400ish maybe. The cars are pretty solid after that. People have made 5-600 on stock blocks and not been nice to them. To make 400 in the STI's remotely reliably requires internal work in my experience. The X was probably the most confident driving car I have ever owned, I pitched it into some pretty sketchy situations in both the dry and wet and the car you could just plain throttle out of anything.

·
Hardtopper
2,468 Posts
Reliable, low maintenance and economical are certainly not traits the STI is known for. FWIW, over the last few years nearly all of my car buddies that were into Subarus have sold and moved on to something else. The headache/heartbrake is disproportionately high compared to the enjoyment factor. They're great cars when they run... ...WHEN they run..

·
...pop the hood!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info GC89 and HellBringer...

so if i were to pick up either an sti or evo, but leave the engines stuck, which of the two would be more reliable and fuel efficient?

·
Registered
315 Posts
get a used 2014 ford explorer sport- get an intake, thermostat, plugs and tune= daily stoplight ownage of 99% of cars etc you come across. bank vault design…only fluids and one set of front pads over 80k miles

·
Registered
61 Posts
I DD an Evo X, 6-speed DCT, with basic mods. I get horrible gas mileage but it's almost all city miles + heavy foot. A gently modded and properly-tuned Evo should get about 22mpg highway and deliver bulletproof reliability. This is my 2nd Evo X; I had an Evo X MR in the US. My low-mileage US car was fantastic. My current JDM car is ~120,000km and stuff is starting to break. I had to replace the $1500 Active Center Differential Pump about a month after I got the car......and about a year after the warranty on that particular part expired.

It's my 2nd Evo X, third Evo total, so clearly I'm a bit biased about the experience, but they are an absolute blast to drive and very confidence-inspiring. It's a commuter sedan that feels like it defies the laws of physics in the corners.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
Noble713
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing