Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Supra, NA, Auto, 116K Miles
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting new Enkei wheels and new tires soon, so now is a good time for me to remove all my calipers, clean, and respray them. I need to do new brake pads at this time as well. I used search and everything that comes up is very old, so I was wondering what you guys have had success with? I'm personally thinking ceramic. The brakes on my Supra frankly suck, and I'm not expecting pads to solve this, but an entire new system is out of the question for now. I just want something that is reasonable and good.

As a bonus question, one shop I took the Sup to mentioned the front right caliper was making excessive heat. Is it simple enough to rebuild these guys, or should I just buy another one? Also will I need to bleed the brakes again after I take all these calipers off?

Thanks again for any input this fantastic community is willing to give me. I really want her to look the best and I'm doing everything I can to keep her in shape.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
What is your primary purpose for the car? I used Porterfield R4S pads on a couple cars with success. Never tracked either of them, but they're a good street pad. Mk3 brakes just... suck, in general. Good for one stop... maybe.

Calipers can be rebuilt, but I've never done it. As long as you don't disconnect the brake lines, you won't introduce air into the system, and won't NEED to bleed the brakes. However... what color is your fluid? If it's like a lot of old cars I see, it's likely dark, and full of water. While water does function, sorta, as brake fluid, its boiling point is terrible, compounding the earlier point about Mk3 brakes sucking. Brake flush isn't too hard, if you have a vacuum bleeder it can be done solo too. If you rebuild or replace the calipers, you will need to bleed it anyway. :)

You can do this one Rush, I have faith in you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What is your primary purpose for the car?
To not wreck it (and I GUESS not die, but I care about the car a bit more.)

Thanks for the vote of confidence haha. I actually think I might try to paint them without removing the lines. Going to be a lot more difficult in the back though.
The Porterfields sure seem like high end stuff, but I'm not sure I'm not dropping $400 on a set of pads when really the entire system likely needs to be redone someday

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
They're $400? Ouch. Definitely weren't that much when I bought them last, oh... only... 16 years ago? Ok, inflation's gotten out of hand. :p

Kidding aside, might shop around. I think Tire Rack also sells them, worth a look.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be fair, they said they were made from Carbon fiber and Kevlar, that's 100% race car stuff!!

Buying new rotors would be nice, but I'm thinking the old ones won't look that bad through these wheels.

·
Registered
Stock 1989 Supra Turbo w/ Sport Roof
200 Posts
Bleeding the breaks with a speed bleeder is actually really easy. I got one for maybe $20 from harbor freight. Works well for a vacuum gauge too. Just start furthest from the master cylinder and work your way in. I'm not sure on our cars but I'd guess passenger rear->driver rear->passenger front->driver front. Like was mentioned earlier, new brake fluid is always good.

Also when I last bought brake pads I got Centric PQ Pros. They're okay, they stop the car. They have some gimmicky compound to help smooth the rotors out for those who are cheap like me and didn't get the rotors turned or replaced. Granted my pads were all worn the same so my rotors seems to be in good shape minus some cosmetic (nail doesn't catch) scrapes and such. But I'm still on sawblades though so who cares lol.

Reactions: Rushnerd

·
Registered
579 Posts
I use Porterfield R4 on my car because they grip like nothing else. However, they are squeaky dust monsters. The squeaking can be tamed, but not the dust. They are not cheap. I've tried R4S and did not like them.

I wish EBC would make Yellowstuff for this car. I miss the old days when Ferodo made awesome pads for the Supra.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Kind of a cheesy Amazon bundle, but good god for that price, I wouldn't mind having slotted rotors and new pads all around!
Reviews seem decent, may just go with this one.

I use Porterfield R4 on my car because they grip like nothing else. However, they are squeaky dust monsters. The squeaking can be tamed, but not the dust. They are not cheap. I've tried R4S and did not like them.

I wish EBC would make Yellowstuff for this car. I miss the old days when Ferodo made awesome pads for the Supra.
Those look great, but as much as I'm tempted to go with semi-metallic (because this damn car needs all the help stopping it can get) It's going to be a bad idea with these brand new wheels.

·
Registered
Stock 1989 Supra Turbo w/ Sport Roof
200 Posts
Kind of a cheesy Amazon bundle, but good god for that price, I wouldn't mind having slotted rotors and new pads all around!
Reviews seem decent, may just go with this one.

Those look great, but as much as I'm tempted to go with semi-metallic (because this damn car needs all the help stopping it can get) It's going to be a bad idea with these brand new wheels.
A little bit of synthetic spray wax (I like turtle wax ceramic wet wax) goes a long way on your rims. Spray on a towel and wipe on, don't spray at the brakes. Brake dust wipes or rinses right off.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Went with the Amazon deal, I had a giftcard so $180 for new slotted rotors and pads all around is one hell of a deal. Probably not the best pads ever, but then again these are standard calipers we are talking about. Along with painting those calipers red, it's going to get me exactly the look I wanted over the $2,300 big brake kits I've seen for the MK3.

A little bit of synthetic spray wax (I like turtle wax ceramic wet wax) goes a long way on your rims. Spray on a towel and wipe on, don't spray at the brakes. Brake dust wipes or rinses right off.
I'll be sure to pick up a bottle of that. The wheels are ceramic coated so I assume a ceramic wax is the way to go to treat them.

Reactions: Mo0nbay

·
Registered
169 Posts
As usual I'm late to the party. From what limited info I've found on the net from people who've used their pads, Dixcel seems to be the japanese EBC brakes. Their Z-type pads are rated for street and track use, and they track-only pads from what I remember. Very expensive though, not including shipping from Japan. On ebay they're about 290 usd + 40 shipping, per axle.

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,554 Posts
i use protter field as well but the street pads R4S they take some time to bed in but once bedded they work well I have tracked them and they took everthing I chucked at them on my tacoma x runner and supra

·
Registered
141 Posts

EBC do make Yellows for our cars, I run them.

But bear in mind wear rates go through the roof when the pad is nice and toasty, which as you'd expect is quite the usual occurrence in the front end of these boats :p

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've been using PBR brake pads for years. They used to be called Axis Metal Masters. It's an Australian company. Their current compound includes more ceramic for durability and lower dusting. Here's a clip from my information log. Current prices are somewhere around $40 a set.
Here is a link to their website but you can beat those prices and free shipping elsewhere like eBay or Amazon.
PBR USA Website

PBR Deluxe Advanced 3551-0435-00 Front, PBR Deluxe Advanced 3551-0622-00 Rear (Both sets come already shimmed so you don't need the Toyota shim stack.
Pink Toyota lithium soap grease that the manual calls for 08887-01206 Its for piston seals, slide pins, and rubber parts.
Front boot kit (both sides) RAYBESTOS H16064 Professional Grade (in case the rubber swells up and pinches the guide pin causing the inside pad to wear more at the bottom). This can happen if you use the wrong grease or from age.
Front caliper copper seals for hose banjo bolt (2) each 90430-10074 or 90430-10079.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well, I was going off EBC's own site where they only list the rears, which seemed strange. Summit lists the fronts. I may go with them next, as I'm almost due. They've been good on my '04 350Z.
They may just be sitting on old stock - I generally buy that sort of thing from Demon Tweeks.

Either way, they're really good on the street, but mind the shortcomings of the compound when things get toasty on track.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts