Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 non turbo W58 car, and was looking for a new clutch since mine is going out, I looked at a few posts, but most of them are older and I’m sure there’s some newer stuff out there. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,385 Posts
I'd recommend an Exedy stock replacement or similar sort of clutch.

By the time you get to a full build, you'll be far better off with an R154 or other stronger transmission, so there's no sense 'throwing good money after bad' with an upgraded clutch for a W58. Enjoy it as a fun easy-to-drive 80's classic as-is :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
I got a new OEM clutch at about 220k miles, and it lasted 60k miles before all the rivets holding one friction ring sheared off. My putt putt GE broke it. The original clutch lasted 220k miles and had life left. The engine was out at that point, so I replaced the clutch because it was old.

I am not that impressed with the Aisin stock clutch anymore, especially when the isolators on the clutch plate are rubber globs instead of springs.

So, I upgraded to the basic ACT Street clutch and pressure plate. It's great for normal driving, but gets really grabby when hot which makes it tough to drive smoothly in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I got a new OEM clutch at about 220k miles, and it lasted 60k miles before all the rivets holding one friction ring sheared off. My putt putt GE broke it. The original clutch lasted 220k miles and had life left. The engine was out at that point, so I replaced the clutch because it was old.

I am not that impressed with the Aisin stock clutch anymore, especially when the isolators on the clutch plate are rubber globs instead of springs.

So, I upgraded to the basic ACT Street clutch and pressure plate. It's great for normal driving, but gets really grabby when hot which makes it tough to drive smoothly in stop and go traffic.
I've often wondered why one side of the clutch disc wears faster than the other on my set up. The flywheel was resurfaced at the machine shop to be smooth. The replacement OEM pressure plate had some machining grooves and it and was not as smooth as the flywheel side. Maybe that's why the backside of the plate is wearing faster. Next time I do this I might want to take a stone and take off the ridges from the pressure plate side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts