Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and found out that there are different shades of red for the Supra. For some strange reason, I don't have the paint code sticker on my door. I have all the stickers and the car has never been in any accidents or has it ever been repainted. Anyways, I'm about to get my sideskirts and front lip painted. I checked the MKIV site: http://mkiv.com/tmp/paintcodes.html
I noticed there are four shades of red. Which one could my '94 TT 6-speed be??

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I never thought that list of codes deserved any credit for being accurate.
I'm willing to bet whoever wrote that list was basically just running down a list of TOYOTA colors.....not necessarily SUPRA colors. Here's my reasoning - some of the names of those colors aren't even accurate (almost made up it seems). Plus, have any of you guys seen a **factory painted** "Opal Teal Bl. Pearl Metallic Clearcoat" colored supra???? Not me. How about a factory painted pearl white MKIV??? Not me.

Point being - I still believe that Toyota only made 1 shade of red for the mkiv (I'm not 100% sure, but I think so ----> the Ressainance Red color - sp?).

One last thing: What makes you so sure that your car was never repaired? Every single car is provided with stamps/decals that have specific info listes, and ever mkiv has a decal in the door near the bottom with the paint code....if you don't have one, then that's a definite red flag ---> possible re-paint in jamb, or door shell replacement.

I was shopping for a supra in Houston at a high-end Lexus dealership and the 97 mkiv was really clean looking (except for a few things other than paint). The sales guys swore it was never painted.....I looked in the glove compartment and I found the decal still stuck to the original metal from the door's original shell!!! I showed them what I found and asked them again about an accident to the car etc.....I told them how I was an auto painter and not exactly ignorant to the whole issue. With the metal in my hand, they continued to deny any paint repairs to the car LMAO. I was like "whatever".....15 minutes later I left with my $32K check and caught another flight home :D
Beware....some shops can/do repair cars to look awesome like factory and it's very hard to tell at a glance of repairs. This car had very clean paint work done!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
To add to my point above....that list doesn't even correctly name the Rennaisance Red that WAS painted on mkiv's :p :p WTF?

I *think* (like 90% positive or more) it's the 3H8 code.......and it's NOT a pearl color either as mentioned on that list, LMAO. I have this color in my garage for painting calipers :D

Whatever.......fuck that list (for accuracy references)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
blkturbo! said:
One last thing: What makes you so sure that your car was never repaired? Every single car is provided with stamps/decals that have specific info listes, and ever mkiv has a decal in the door near the bottom with the paint code....if you don't have one, then that's a definite red flag ---> possible re-paint in jamb, or door shell replacement.
I agree 100% with everything you said about the MKIV website. I'm sure my car is the Renaissance red. My car has all the decals and stamps (even the Canadian car sticker). I have no reason to believe it has been repainted. I'm just as confused as you are because I could have sworn I saw the paint decal on the door. But its not there, so I just want to make sure before I get it painted a wrong shade.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blkturbo!: What year was your hardtop? Damn, thats sad. R.I.P. 33k miles too..:(

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
1993-1998 Super or Renaissance Red = 3L2

Contrary to popular belief, there were NO other reds besides 3L2.

·
Registered
532 Posts
toyota advertised renaissance red. this was the color code 3L2 according to toyota, paintshops, and the mkiv website. however, there are a few diferent shades of 3L2, and NONE of them are the same red as the mkiv. there were i believe 2-3 shades of 3L2 and all of them were darker than my car. Dont ask me why this is, i just know for a fact.
kev

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
You are refering to "variants" My car is painted a variant of 3L2. The paint company (ICI) calls it "3L6". It is 2 shades brighter than 3L2.

Don't let them fool you. 3L2 is 3L2, no matter what brand paint is used. It only mixes one way...

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
FYRARMS said:
1993-1998 Super or Renaissance Red = 3L2

Contrary to popular belief, there were NO other reds besides 3L2.

Ahhhhh yessss.......that's the one :) I knew I wasn't 100% sure :D

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
FYRARMS said:
You are refering to "variants" My car is painted a variant of 3L2. The paint company (ICI) calls it "3L6". It is 2 shades brighter than 3L2.

Don't let them fool you. 3L2 is 3L2, no matter what brand paint is used. It only mixes one way...
aznsupra:
Yep yep.......they are also called "alternates" as in an alternate, yet minor adjustment to the same code. Only because EVERY car of the same code is not IDENTICAL. So aternate chips are produced by the aftermarket paint companies for codes that are popular for not matching all that great.......they are still considered that one code though, just as an alternate <---- minor mixture differences at the mixing scale with Joe Painter making it.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
SupraSaiyan said:
blkturbo!: What year was your hardtop? Damn, thats sad. R.I.P. 33k miles too..:(

yeah :( sad day for that cherry car, no doubt :( Total virgin, that car was.......

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
blkturbo! said:
yeah :( sad day for that cherry car, no doubt :( Total virgin, that car was.......

Whoops......I forgot to answer the damn question :D It was a 94 (tt 6spd)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
blkturbo! said:
Whoops......I forgot to answer the damn question :D It was a 94 (tt 6spd)
Damn, it must've been sweeeeeeet!!! '94 hardtop too! I guess theres at most 74 left for that year :( Anyways, could you list some pros/cons (if any) between hardtop vs targa from personal experience? I can't justify selling my low mileage mint condition targa top for a much higher mileage hardtop.. albeit I've always wanted the hardtop more than the targa :p

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Well since this is your thread, I guess it's not a hijacking :D
Pros and conns, hmmmm.....

The cons (of a targa) -
Going to a looser body, but it aint shit compared to an old mustang or any other domestic topless hunk, so I dont really sweat it.
Subs are a tighter issue.
Dont strip your targa bolts....I hear its a bitch (use anti-seize lube every winter ;) ).
Some will bring up weight differences but, big deal (80lbs more for targa mkiv I think).

The pros (of a targa) -
you get seen driving a pimp, clean car :cool:
It's therapy for the stressed mind :D
The targa rarely leaks (if ever at all) as opposed to any other domestic hunk.

If your targa is low mileage and clean, then I say keep it. Besides, what are any of us REALLY going to do with the rare hardtops later on.....75% of the guys in here are too busy "jacking" up all the mkiv's as it is so WTF! :( :(

If any of the guys in these forums REALLY loved and respected their mkiv's, they'd keep them much nearer to stock!!! :dunno:
General mods are one thing, but when reliability and or rice come into play, then the car is done with as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts