Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been seeing this alot recently in researching Supra's. People have raised the redline of their supras to crazy numbers like 9000rpms...being a former Integra enthusiast the higher RPM's are really music to my ears. I was wondering what would be involved in raising the redline like this, im sure some ppl will think this is a stupid question but it has never come up to me before now....

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I wouldn't think of revving that high without decreasing valve/keeper mass, and increasing valve spring rate. I would also consider the use of connecting rods capable of safely dealing with greater tensile loading mandatory.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mello

i really like mello's car haha i saw that vid he was so happy about with the dsm burning it down...anyone have any sites describing the whole procedure of the redline increase?? Anymore info would help thanx turbotoy

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea.

yea i firgured it would be quite a bit of work to do i was thinking along the lines of replacing internals and such but i was really just wondering thanx for the help

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would also like to know what is involved with riasing the redline. i'm planning on upgrading my turbos to either the t04r or the 2835 and would like a little more room to play with. i know that as rpm increases so does the oil and fuel pressure; would this cause any problems with the seals? let's say that i replace the valve springs, retainers, cams and cam gears; would i be able to increase the redline to say 8k?

thanks for any help.

·
Fossilized Member
695 Posts
Factory redline is 6500, but my stock 7M-GTE sure never sees it, 5200 is about it for her. :rolleyes:

I'm no wizard with these motors, but I would think more aggressive cams, lighter pistons, rods and maybe a crankshaft would help pump the R's up. Lighter flywheels help too.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The main difference here is the length of the stroke. The 1jz has a very short stroke and the 2jz is square, both of which are great for high rpms. The 7m with it's long stroke; however, is a different kind of animal. If it can be done I'd really love to see and hear a 8000rpm 7m...

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bringing this thread back, sorry :D Well, I am interested running a T78 turbo, thing is, this turbo fully spools at about 5k RPM, so a raised rev limit is a must, do you guys think with with JE or Ross Pistons, crower rods and some titanium retainers, oversize valves and a port polish that it will be around 8K RPM ? If not, I am probably going to have to get a 1JZ wich would be much more money and more work, thanks.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
really ? How would this be done ? Any ideas on price and what kind of RPM I will be able to reach ? Thanks a lot, never thought of destroking.

·
Moderator, megalos ntabatzis!!
4,409 Posts
destroke or not, you need tons of valvetrain work... Lifters, springs, cams, cam gears, blueprinting and balanced... ide port and polish, do anyhting you can to improve head air flow...

Raising the redline is pointless unless you have a big turbo of some kind... on stock its not even worth revving past 6k... either way its good for 7k stock i think... 1jz's are good for 9k stock :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I haven't had much head work (5 angle valve job, slight porting) and I can somehow get my 88 to go to 7k. I didn't realize it until I had the car tuned and the graph showed readout and power at 7k. It bounces of the rev limit at 7k too. Must be some freak thing I guess. But I take it about to 6700 or so before I shift.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the only way i can realistically see someone raising the redline on a '7MG' motor is by as already stated valvetrain valvetrain valvetrain and very nice enginemanagement systyem, increased fuel injectors, and some good ring and seals. Cams will definitely be needed, but how much more HP will be found at such high rpm, i don't think much anyway. straight six power is mostly mid so going that high IMHO is a waste of cash.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well the turbo is a Greddy T78 turbo. I have heard that this turbo will hit full boost at around 5K RPM, stock redline is 6500, a 1500 RPM Powerband is fucking gay, either that or I should just use nitrous when to help spool when I need it ?

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
To reach up that high... you need some serious head work and bottom end work.
Go to my website... www.mdcmotorsports.com and look for the supra page under the import section.
Basically you need about $3k in head work, and another $3-5k in bottom end and pistons.
Then you gotta go into the electronic section, and raise the stock red line in the computer... I think.
It also wouldn't hurt to cut and lighten the crank. Less rotating mass makes you go faster... we cut & balanced mine.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks MDC, I don't think I will continue this project as it is just too much, I will probably find another turbo for my quest, thanks bro.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts