Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking all over for some MT90 and no one seemed to carry it. All places i went to suggested to go Performance Improvements because they used to carry all Redline products. I didnt really want to go because their closest location is a 50km drive from me, but i went today and the guy told me that the Canadian goverment recently banned all redline products, and will not allow them to cross the border anymore. He said that some small shops might still have some left in stock (canadian tire still has some redline products, no gear oil though) but they will soon run out for good. Good thing they still sell Royal Purple stuff.
So.... unless the guy was smoking some good shit prior to talking to me, looks like there wont be anymore Redline stuff for us :(

·
Registered
927 Posts
Why would they ban it? And why would the government care....You need to meet certain requirements when bringing any hazardous materials across the boarder though.

With that said...Try JRP in mississauga

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
First I've heard of it.

I can still get it locally, I just put MT90 into my Corolla's tranny. MOPAC carries it.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Lordco and Mopac both still have it here. In great quantities, I might add.

I don't think the government can ban a brand name.

·
SF Zombie hunter
2,557 Posts
lol i just changed my differential fluid with redline gear oil....like on monday. The redline gear oil is like the one of the most common gear oil brand i can find in most stores

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
i think it has to do with the shipping method they use, because canadian tire has a performance catalog to order from, and i have tried countless times to order stuff from there (redline oil, royal purple assembly lube) and have always failed. i called them directly once and they said the border will not allow any LIQUID through because it is considered a hazardous material. i don't understand it, but whatever, keep looking. i got my redline mt-90 from pacific mall, gotta love the asians :D

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
i work at canadian tire, and i KNOW that you can NOT get mt-90 through keystone. if you complain to head office, you can probably get some mt-90 though (i've seen it happen with other products). regular redline motor oil ctc can get however because it comes in through head office, not keystone.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
I just bought some and put it in big mistake.

GUYS!! MT-90 is the wrong fluid for our cars. Our trannys need thicker stuff. Royal Purple 75-90 synthetic works way better than this mt-90...

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
I'm running MT90 in my Supra and in my Corolla, no complaints, it shifts absolutely beatifully, and has been for 3 years now.

MT90 is 75w90 GL4 gear oil... how much thinner is it going to be than Royal Purple 75w90?

What kind of problems are you having?

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
well I have used both. The Royal Purple is much thicker. It took me double the time to sqeeze it all in then the mt90. It shifted much nicer with the royal purple. The tranny kind of thuds sometimes shifting into second. Other than that its pretty good much smoother than before. But not as smooth as it did with the purple.

·
Registered
945 Posts
heh...guessing double the time to squeeze it in is hardly any kind of scientific test...at least not for blowing over 10 years of redline usage proof out of the water. If it works well and improves your shifts, use it. Royal Purple is a top oil as well, and it might just be better in certain cases. But to yell to the world calling Redline the wrong fluid based on that kind of test is a joke...

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
bgrieger said:
Yep...you'll feel like you got raped when you get to the cash register, but they have it...

Actually, that isnt true. Locally I dont think you can get it for any cheaper. I bought some from Performanc Improvements and on SALE it was $19.99/quart. (this was about a year ago before the changed over to all Royal Purple products). When I went to JRP it was something like $12/quart. Plus Steve the owner gives Supra guys a TSC discount. :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
I paid around $12 from a little Honda performance shop near Dave & Busters when I picked it up last. I'm very surprised by JRP pricing. I've never found them willing to compete on price or service for anything before. Perhaps they've changed their ways a bit then...have to stop by and comparison shop again.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
FromDaStreetz said:
Im not saying redline is crap at all. all im saying is the MT-90 doesn't seem thick enough. Does redline sell a 75-90 or 80-90 syn?

Redline sells a lot of stuff.

The MT90 IS 75w90, lol.

The also sell the 75w90NS which would work fine, as well as the MTL which is a 70w80, the also have a 75w140.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts