Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congrats to all those that went out and participated this last weekend!

unfortunately my car suffered a bent exhaust valve and will hopefully be out at the next time attack.:ugh2:

Big props to

Nils for winning overall street tire champion 1:58:05 ( this evo is crazy! )
must be the shoes ;)

Billy Johnson and the factor x NSX crew for taking fastest modified car overall! (1:54.3)

Matt Andrews in his Miata for pulling a 2:01:4 with a blown shock that day. Plenty more to be squeezed out at this point!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Awesome, congrats guys!

Do you remember any more times off the top of your head?

Sucks about your car! Good luck next time!

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
ahh, too bad about your valve, Curtis. Do you know why/how that happended?

Congrats to Nils ...any pics of the shoes? Keep up this kind of driving and soon you'll be famous!

Also congrats to BJ and the NSX crew. I knew from what we read about the previous event that you guys are very serious competitors with a great car.

Congratulations to Matt, too. A good time even with a limp.

Any vids of this event?

·
TX2K7 roadrace champion
1,544 Posts
good job nils... altho it is what we expect from u....

and i heard the s15 broke the cyber evo time.... i thought the cyber evo was more of a beast then that... was the track the same?...

or is the s15 just that fast.... i know what the cyber evo can do.. and disnt think there is anyway that s15 coulda gone fast..

·
GT-R guy
490 Posts
and i heard the s15 broke the cyber evo time.... i thought the cyber evo was more of a beast then that... was the track the same?...

or is the s15 just that fast.... i know what the cyber evo can do.. and disnt think there is anyway that s15 coulda gone fast..

JIC S15 has been running in the low 51 - 50's. That was with not a lot of power. They have been working on the setup, making more power.

I know they went 50, but I didn't stay to the end to see what it did at the end.

Fast car with a fast driver.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the jic went 1:48.06 i believe

·
Evil Shenanigans
623 Posts
Good job Nils! I was blown away when I clocked you under 2:00! Cool to meet you too, keep up the good work.

Factor X, saw you guys with the laptop out in the parking lot of Super 8 on Sunday morning and just chuckled, good job to you guys too! Screaming fast times!

All three of our driver's podiumed, 2nd in SF, 3rd in UR, and 1st in MF (new track record for MF). An NA Integra turned a 2:07 to take street front, insanely fast! The same driver also won street rear in an S2000, he cleaned up!

Sorry to hear about the car Curtis.

Matt, which Miata was yours? Was it the blue widebody with the black panels? If so, awesome car! Wish I had known it was yours, I would have introduced myself while I gawked over it. Good times, you'll be under 2:00 in no time.

As for the JIC car, they were garaged right next to us, on Saturday they pulled in from a session with no wing and a taillight popped out. We weren't sure what happened but it's a good thing they got the wing replaced because that would have really thrown off the settings. Yes, it was the same configuration as the Cyber EVO record, and yes they broke it with a slightly faster 1:48. :eek:

Awesome event, I'm just amazed at how this event has grown, cars are getting faster and faster. Laguna is gonna be crazy. I can't wait.

·
TX2K7 roadrace champion
1,544 Posts
great driving nils...

with that dif u can really see your skillz.. and your car control.... usualy evos just drive themselves with understeer... but u actualy have to drive your car.. to reach its limits...

ur lovin the power oversteer....

also looks like theres some serious retards out there... epople going off left and rite...

·
Registered
857 Posts
thx bud.. that made me feel all warm & fuzzy inside....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thank you guys. Factor X and the NSX did an awesome job as usual.

Sorry you couldn't make it out Curtis, I would have loved to see a Supra out there!

Once again, good job Nils for the sub 2:00 time!

·
Registered
857 Posts
thx... you didnt do so bad yourself there Billy :) .....its always fun to see a RWD car beat an AWD car in TA format.... good shit for taking the whole class win!

n

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Yeah. It was a long event for some of us. It was good to see some others had good success. :)

Nils- your car is quicker than ever. really cool. I'll have to make the trip to spring mountain when the heat cools down. do they have out door showers there? ;)

Mikey- Good to put a name with a face. I look forward to having you move out of our class to unlimited. :D

Billy- I was too busy with the car to introduce myself. It was cool to see you wheel that car around while I limped around the track. Hopefully next time I can give you more of a run for your money. I think I'll need to put hairline cracks in all your spark plugs to have a chance with that car you are driving. :lol:

As for our rag tag team of cars, our friday test day was a real long one. Curtis' car did not perform up to his expectations on a leak down test. Weld's S14 Cooked me for about 3 run groups with the exhaust routed through the passenger compartment until the tranny gave out on it. They decided is was too big of a job to swap it before sunday, so they fell out on Friday.

Then with my own personal car (yes, Frush, it was the blue can carbon miata) had multiple teething issues you usually see with a brand new car that isn't sorted. First run out on Friday that car was amazingly fast. The new Robi Spec Triple Adjustables made the car stick like never before. Until we had an issue with the wastegate which required a frantic call to Boostlogic at about 4pm on Friday to source a new manifold for Saturday AM delivery. (thanks Guys!)

We swapped the manifold and started the car Saturday Morning. To find out we had developed another problem. If you tilted the drivers side of the car in the air on a jack, the car ran fine. When you put it down on the ground, it ran on 2 cylinders. Turns out a wire had worked itself most of the way out of the harness in the car that controlled a coilpack. Once we fixed this, we were out on track at low boost. (240 hp)

The car was amazing. Until we lost fluid from the drivers rear shock. Luckily we had a spare set. So we replaced the shock and got back on the road. 1 run group later, the same lack of rebound damping sensation came back and we found we lost fluid in the passenger rear shock. Kind of alarming. But since we had 1 full set of spares, we replaced it Saturday night and were ready to go for Sunday's main event. Well, as you can tell how this weekend was going for us, it would be no suprise we lost the fluid from yet another one of the dampers. Unfortunately, we lost the passenger rear again. The same session that this happened, I had an unfortunate run in is one of the rumble strips. It tagged the front splitter and about 10 seconds later it delaminated and ripped off the car.

A quick attempt to recharge the pressure in the shock showed that we had indeed lost fluid, not pressure in the shock, so we were SOL. We got lucky with the front splitter. it didn't hurt anything when it came off, and the resulting high speed understeer actually made the bouncy rear end more stable on the high speed sweeper.

In the final session of the day, I was determined to try and atleast make things look respectable, but without the splitter, the car got hot fast. So I didn't have lots of time. On my first hot lap, I caught a car that left the pits 10 seconds before me, so that lap was ruined. So literally on the last lap of the day, We started hanging wheels in the dirt. The fastest lap we put in was the very last one. a 2:01.XX is nothing to write home about, but it was a moral victory for me. Oddly, if we were running unlimited instead of modified, I think the time would have been good enough for third. In RWD Modified, I think I ended up either 4th or 5th.

Let me say, while the albotros around our neck was shock failure, This new setup from Robi Spec is blindingly fast when it worked. This is the first set he has built for a miata, and there will be hardware changes to prevent the banjo bolt from coming loose that was killing us last weekend. This will definately be "the" set up for the miata. Curtis and I have talked to him about building a setup for the supra. If you guys are interested in something nicer than a Tein, but cheaper than a penske, I would encourage you to call him and let him know there is interest from this community. I had not had much experience with his work before this weekend, but his set up on Nils' car won that class, and I've never had my car as planted when it worked.

Anyway, Thanks to all those who came out to watch and support. And a special thanks to Curtis and Jason for busting knuckles on my car for 3 days. I really appreciate your help.

Curtis- you have a pic of our shirts? I think the GSC guys will get a kick out of them. :p

Matt

·
Registered
857 Posts
good stuff matt... it was nice to hang with you & your fam.. sippin on beers..... :)

yeah..post a pic of that t-shirt... ha ha...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good find Nils!

TurboMX5: How much was that carbon hard-top? Why weren't you running hte rear window?

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
that carbon top wieghs 6 pounds. And the cost of carbon is inversely proportional to the wieght. :) With the glass fully finished its rediculous. like $2800. You can get cheap carbon look tops, but the real deal will cost you money.

I wasn't running the rear window for 3 reasons: 1. the areo of the top is much better without the rear window. Air gets to the wing much better. At SCCA nationals last year, a miata showed up like that and it was 1 full second a lap faster than the other spec class cars that way. 2: the lexan window I had in it cracked, and while I have another, I haven't bothered to put a replacement back in. 3: I was in modified. A lexan rear window would have moved me to unlimited.

You have a family member in influential places at my mark's manufacture don't you? I've met him on a couple of occasions I believe...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts