Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Banned
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so how dangerous is it for the motor to redline? I know this causes the engine to rev past recommended levels, and parts are moving "too" fast. I try to keep my car in as good of condition as possible, but sometimes you wanna cut loose... sometimes. Anywho, so I think in the entirety of owning my car since the GE - JDM GE swap, I have redlined the engine at most 4 times, and never more than a few seconds. Should I be worried about some things or is this no cause of concern?

· slower than a turtle
1,008 Posts
lol im on my rev limiter all the time at autocross and my car has taken it fine i would not be to worried that being said a NA does really pull up there you should shift before redline. you should shift when you feel the car kind of let up probably around 5750-6000

· Banned
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I should have mentioned that it is an auto, but I know I do have some degree of control over shifting. The other day, I had to put this Honda Civic guy in place, cause he likes to talk shit about my heavy ass car. As immature as that was, I did race him, and with the car on ECT, I didn't expect it go go into redline like it did from stop all the way throughg first.

· 25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,348 Posts
The stock rev limit is well below the limit of the valve springs and rods/pistons on this motor.

With upgraded valve springs, 7500 should be possible with no problems. (Use the Comp Cams's ones, they are less than 70.00 for the 24 and are the same as a BBC inner valve spring.)

With upgraded pistons and valve springs, possibly 8000 is not out of the question.

Upgrade your rods, pistons and springs, and 8k is no problem. Possibly higher, but your going to need lots of head porting, and different cams to take advantage of power at that level of RPM. The stock head will not give you much gains above the stock rpm limit from what I've read/seen and can figure.

I have larger valves, and used the Comp Cam's springs, but my motor is also stroked by 6.5mm. Even so, it's very smooth at redline, so much so that I'm debating ways to raise the rev limit on the TCCS to get another 1000rpm or so available if I want it.

6,984 Posts
My car sees redline multiple times daily.

· two wheels is all i need
1,374 Posts
My tranny is my rev limiter :( .... the damn clutch fork falls out every time i rev past 5100 :'(

· Registered
3,965 Posts
Silver88Turbo said:
My car sees redline multiple times daily.
+1

the stock redline is very conservative, at least it's better than my truck where redline was never reached because it ran out of air way before it...

· what would jesus drift?
998 Posts
every time i race or what not i see reline in first . maybe even second.. just dump it to the floor and let's go.. the auto will shift perfectly and fast as hell

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.