Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am visiting San Francisco at the end of this month for three days. I want to spend a day doing the Napa Valley wine tour thing, a day in San Fran doing the touristy things such as the bridge, and Alcatraz etc. For my third day i want to see one of the near national parks and having difficulty picking one.

I really do want to see the really old redwoods. I know there are couple of places close to San Fran but are not the very old redwoods that are in Eureka. From San Fran it is a 6hrs drive so i think it might be too long of a drive for one day to go there and back the same day. The other option is to go to Yosemite and see a little bit of everything and since the giant sequoias are there as well i will maybe get my taste of giant redwoods in one shot and shorter drive.

All inputs appreciated.

·
Bully
5,318 Posts
Did you look in to Big Basin Redwoods State Park? It is pretty close to SF about an hour drive south.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you look in to Big Basin Redwoods State Park? It is pretty close to SF about an hour drive south.

I looked at those but from the information i find, they are 2nd growth redwoods and not as magnificent as the ones in Redwood National Park area. I figured if i am gonna see Redwoods, i wanna see THE redwoods :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Go to yosemite you will see it ALL big trees and big rocks!! It is one of the best NAt parks ever. If you can get up out of the valley on a small hike.

·
Oh Snaps
549 Posts
There's a state park in La Honda called Portola Redwoods. It's an easy drive from SF and the drive literally takes you into another world from the Bay Area. While there is a lot of second growth, there are several groves of original growth trees in the park. PM if you want some more details.

·
Banned
540 Posts
Yosemite is just as far. Listen to these guys. It's worth it to go north. There are trees on the side of the road 10 ft diameter. And afIk, You can't DRIVE THROUGH any trees in yosemite, or see a house built into the trunk of another. Yosemite is not as 'natural' as you think. That park has been used up like a two dollar... well, and they have been playing 'foresty management' catch-up ever since. In the north, you have natural, un-managed beauty of the forest.

I looked at those but from the information i find, they are 2nd growth redwoods and not as magnificent as the ones in Redwood National Park area. I figured if i am gonna see Redwoods, i wanna see THE redwoods :)
There's a state park in La Honda called Portola Redwoods. It's an easy drive from SF and the drive literally takes you into another world from the Bay Area. While there is a lot of second growth, there are several groves of original growth trees in the park. PM if you want some more details.
What about Muir Woods? very nice place
http://www.nps.gov/muwo/
PS. my sig is my back yard. And I live "in town".

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yosemite is just as far. Listen to these guys. It's worth it to go north. There are trees on the side of the road 10 ft diameter. And afIk, You can't DRIVE THROUGH any trees in yosemite, or see a house built into the trunk of another. Yosemite is not as 'natural' as you think. That park has been used up like a two dollar... well, and they have been playing 'foresty management' catch-up ever since. In the north, you have natural, un-managed beauty of the forest.

PS. my sig is my back yard. And I live "in town".

When i check googlemaps it shows Redwood National Park to be 6.5hrs away from San Fran and Yosemite to be 3.5hrs away. I just figured if i leave San Fran at 6am, i can be in Yosemite by 10am spend a few hours and leave around 5-6pm and still be back in decent time for dinner. But to do the same round trip in same day to Redwood National Park seems like it would be stretching it.

·
Oh Snaps
549 Posts
When i check googlemaps it shows Redwood National Park to be 6.5hrs away from San Fran and Yosemite to be 3.5hrs away. I just figured if i leave San Fran at 6am, i can be in Yosemite by 10am spend a few hours and leave around 5-6pm and still be back in decent time for dinner. But to do the same round trip in same day to Redwood National Park seems like it would be stretching it.
That's still a hell of a lot of driving- and not a fun drive at that. I'd really consider going to the park I suggested in La Honda. You'll still see some original growth redwoods and it's only an hour and twenty minute drive. http://tinyurl.com/28y8pgt

·
Banned
3,790 Posts
both yosemite and sequoia national parks are BEAUTIFUL! if this was 3 weeks ago i would have been able to show you around but i just moved :(
yosemite would be a bit closer to san fran than sequoia.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Muir woods is about 20 to 30mins drive depends on traffic. also there the missile silos right there too.

·
Banned
540 Posts
The actual park is in orick, ca. The redwoods start just north of willits, ca. There is a drive thru redwood in Legget, ca and the Ave of the giants, a little north of that. Also heading to Yosemite, you will be on regular freeways until you get out of the modesto area. If you go up the 101, it becoumes "scenic" within a few miles up through novato, gets 'normal' (2 lanes, traffic and assholes) through Petaluma/Santa Rosa, and then NorCal beauty from there on out... Actually a very nice and popular cruising route.

·
Banned
174 Posts
You dont need to drive to Eureka, look up Richardson Grove State Park, its between Garberville and Legget. Its about 4 hour drive from San Francisco. Just the drive through the Start park is breath taking with old growth redwoods within arms reach while driving on the highway. Theres also a redwood you can drive through. And if your really lucky, you might run into big foot.

·
Registered
1993 Anthracite MKIV Turbo 6 speed.
511 Posts
Just went to Yosemite the weekend before SILV. We had Sunday brunch at the Ahwahnee. And then went to Hetch Hetchy. I have a park pass so I go frequently. Most of the park is wilderness with plenty of remoteness. It aint all about the valley. I may edge towards the Redwoods since waterflow this time of year in Yosemite is minimal.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
you guys should definitely head to yosemite and hike up to half dome. 4 hours walk up and 4 hours down, It will put your physical ability to the test but well worth it in the end.

·
Registered
1993 Anthracite MKIV Turbo 6 speed.
511 Posts
No line on the cables in the off season. We did it from Glacier Pt. and spent the night in Little Yosemite Valley. The hike to Half Dome from Happy Isles is 17 miles rt and is a bit much for one day. I forget the vertical but it's substantial.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts