Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well there are now 3 supras that I am personally aware of that Reg Reimer setup with HKS F-con V-pros that are complete pieces of crap.

Reg sells people the units with all hardware for an excessive amount might I add, and then does a very poor tune on the units and sends people on there way. He loads a base map into the head unit and expects the A/F knock amp to fully tune the maps. He sets it up super rich and expects the A/F maskign to bring it up to where it needs to be. Wont happen when there running at 8:1 A/f and destroying the wide band sensors. Plus thats more range then the Masking is capable of from what I am told by HKS and runs the risk of washing cylinders as well.

Tom P. already burnt the valves right out of his head due to one of Reg's tunes in his beautiful 98 TT with 38K miles on it! Thats a shame in and of itself to do damage to a perfect motor with low miles like that. Way too much timing and not enough fuel led to some very bad results in Tom's motor and another as well. (chose to keep his name confidential but contacted me to ask who tuned and set my V-pro up) Reg even set that car up himself on site. What a joke and what a loss.

Reason for this post is to keep people from being suckered in by Reg Reimer aka RCTS or whatever the hell hes calling himself these days and losing not only motors but lots of money as well.

I had my system setup by Ben Phillips, AKA Obiwan here on the forums a while back and he was not only super helpful and informative but can tune like no one else I have ever met. I strongly recommend him if you plan on picking up a V-pro and need it tuned. He flew in, spent a few days here setting the unit up, wiring, etc and dialed it in perfectly for all driving purposes. Not just WOT on a dyno that anyone could tune.

I am recommending him to everyone who has contacted me about my V-pro setup and strongly advise people to stay away from the individual in Canada and some of the other "newbie" F-con dealers in the US. Ben has been using the F-con systems for years, runs it in his own personal car, and every car I have ever seen or read about that he has setup runs perfectly .

Anyhow, just a heads up for people to save them problems and money.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
so if he didnt tune / do anything on your car why are you posting.

I mean i guess thanks for the head up, but i dont see to many people running to canada to get there cars tuned on. Also is evey peoson posted when they heard soemthing bad about a shop we would not be able to post.

Yes it sucks for those with damaged cars but i think you should only post about a shop IF THEY DID SOMETHING TO YOUR CAR.

·
MONKEY TURBO FTMFW!!!!!
738 Posts
Well Techno is only trying to prevent any future losses to any Supra owners in the future. I bet if you had lost your motor or knew someone that did due to someones incompetency you would like everyone to know about it so no one else would experience the same. At least I would and I appreciate that Techno supra has posted this up!!

Ive seen the results of this individuals tuning first hand as well, both on the race track and in person when the car was in pieces as a result of poor tuning.

I too am an F-con equipped car and nothing is scarier then a stand alone EMS system that is improperly setup.

·
Banned
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The individuals who have had problems with there cars do not post on the forums. So if I didnt post this up then others may fall prey to the same situation.

The individual is based out of Canada but comes down to the US to "tune" the units, if you can call it that. He also sends the untis all over the place to people "pre-tuned" which we all know is a joke with a stand alone and that has led to some serious problems. I know 2 of the 3 people first hand who have had problems and I am posting on there behalf so as to inform others.

So this isnt based on here say, thats entirely different. I agree that he said she said becomes a whole other thing, but in this situation its not the case.

·
Banned
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lgp927 you run an F-con too dont you? I think we discussed it at one point.

·
MONKEY TURBO FTMFW!!!!!
738 Posts
I sure do and like I said previously this is the 1st Auto mkiv ST to run a V-Pro in the US.

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
TECHNOSUPRA said:
Ok well there are now 3 supras that I am personally aware of that Reg Reimer setup with HKS F-con V-pros

I am recommending him to everyone who has contacted me about my V-pro setup and strongly advise people to stay away from the individual in Canada and some of the other "newbie" F-con dealers in the US. Ben has been using the F-con systems for years, runs it in his own personal car, and every car I have ever seen or read about that he has setup runs perfectly .

Anyhow, just a heads up for people to save them problems and money.
Since (in my experience) there are always two sides to every story, I sent an e-mail to Reg asking his response to these allegations. Also note I am not implying a preference for F-con tuning either way, since I know that Ben from PHR does great work. Here is Reg's response:

Toms car ran for almost two years running many road course events with Porsche and BMW, Ferrari clubs, without any issues. I never actually built the car we only supplied the parts and setup up the Vpro from him. Tom also installed the camshafts etc and did the complete hardware setup all via his own mechanic.

I had not heard that he had any engine issues, so I called and it looks as though he has burnt valves in the engine, burnt valves are related to valve clearance issues. Too much timing and lean as this forum members politely states causes detonation not Burt valves. I have many cars running this type of pump fuel program, including my Road Race JZA-80.

Anyway, its hard to understand why anyone would install all the EGT meters and instrumentation and not use it. If you see super hot EGTs, never keep you foot in it, this is why we have meters in the first place? Over the past 7 years of my road racing our JZA-80 at One Lap and our local events we had many times where we had bad fuel, or plugged fuel pump strainer and once at Watkins Glen were rubbish from the track sucked up into the intercooler, when the EGT’s started to go high, we let up and continued on as fast as we could without cooking the engine. Seeing that your car is not running like it does normally and also seeing high egt’s and still keeping your foot on it, is a good way to toast any engine? Use your meters!

As far as his comments on other engines, well I don’t know anything about other Vpro problems from owners that don’t want to give there names because other than there are two cars that are in progress cars where the one owner is still working on setting up the turbos and such. We have another car that shortly after the car finished, the owner proceeded to crash it into the ditch damaging the car.

Anyway, In other news related to the Vpro, I have just returned yesterday from Racing in the Australian Targa Tasmania tarmac rally race last week. With our Skyline GTR R32 V spec. The skyline is a very fast car and with the 4 wheel drive its very nice. I find the car a little bit on the light side as far as build quality and strength. But our team came in 1st place in class 8 Modern and 2nd in Category, 16th overall.

Reg Riemer

P.S.
Ben from Powerhouse is my Friend!

------ Forwarded Message

Hey Reg,

After the official results were posted yesterday.
We ended up 16th outright. 1st in class and 2nd in
category. An amazing result all things considered,
and the short time to tune the car on the new fuel.
Thanks for your hard work with the car in short,
I have made a list of areas of new
development for the car for next years TAS race
and will send along to see if
you and Brian have any additions to it.
Talk to you soon.
Richard.
PS: there was another photo under Day 5 that showed
the snow on Mount Arrow Smith...

Richard

*edited by moderator* No advertising or links allowed to non paying members. You know the rules people. Jeez

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Out of professional courtesy Im not getting in the middle of any of this. The basic facts are this: I am repairing Tom's car and setting it up properly for what he wants it to do and I am currently setting up other cars for people as well who want changes made to there current configurations. Tom's car clearly ran too lean and burnt some valves up due to super high EGT's that should have melted the pistons right out of the block and put MAJOR heat into the head. The underside of the head looked like it was made out of titanium. It was a brilliant purple/blue color. From what I have seen so far I would say it was a combination of many things that led up to it. Not enough fuel and too much timing is part of it. The car probably was pinging and detonating as well theres no doubt.

The valves were properly setup and perfectly shimmed and adjusted by one of Tom's Master technicians so there is no way that was the problem. The car had 38 K miles on it after all and had been driven less then 3K miles after being modified. I have pressure tested the stock springs that came out of the head and not a single one shows signs of fatigue either.

Anyhow, Im not going to allow this to turn into an argument around what happened. Im not pointing fingers or making accusations. Tom and I both know exactly what happened and if people have any questions they can contact Tom or myself directly.

If anyone needs help with F-con tuning, parts, prices, pieces, etc. just let me know.

Ill be in MO this month, GA, and FL all during the course of the next 5 weeks doing F-con installs and tunes.

Phil hope your well and Ill probably see you next time Im in GA.

Thanks

Ben Phillips

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.