Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i figured this would get more response here than in the tech section.

i'm trying to do a round of mods directed toward cooling. i am having trouble finding some information regarding the actual precedence of cooling what fluids and how much. my plan is as follows:

mount a power steering cooler, core about 11"x7"x1" in the driver side brake duct. remove the current inline oil cooler, streamline the current oil filter mess with derek obanion's kit, with a remote-mount high flow canton oil filter, and tie in an external oil cooler(same core as the power steering) about an inch behind the power steering cooler in the same duct. the reason i am mounting it there is because i have an fmic i do not want to block in the front, the radiator i do not want to block behind it, and i'm routing my intake pipe and filter into the passenger brake duct where the current smic sits.

what i am wondering is how efficient the oil cooler will be sitting behind the power steering cooler on the track. it won't be as good as if it were by itself, but will it need to be? i wouldn't think the oil temp should need that size of a cooler anyway since the stock cooler is so tiny and doesn't do that great a job anyway in comparison? if anything i won't be over-cooling my oil i suppose.

any thoughts on this? or anyone with experiences similar?

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
I've found an excellent solution to be using a dual channel cooler for both oil and PS. Removes the hassle of mounting two small ones, or sticking one in front of the other. A number of different types can be had from Summit.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
make sure you are using larger diameter piping for the oil cooler than the pwr steering one. You'd hate to bottle neck your whole sytem and start poping front main seals because of it.

You may want to install a fan with it too. I rigged up my spare AC fan on my pwr steering, if you want a more finished look, you could buy a smaller electric aftermerket fan...

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
I have seen it asserted on some threads that the 'streamline' oiling mod from Anarkey is unnecessary.

I'd do some searching on that before you do it if I were you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey Kale,

On the track you have massive air-flow at speed....if you do end up doing a double stack you'll have a lot of air-flow overall.... Instead maybe get a thicker and narrower PS cooler and plumb in a oil cooler next to it. There's a decent amount of room in the vent area to work with.

Do you need an aftermarket oil-cooler? What size turbo you running these days?

Cheers,

-Derek

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm curious what kind of oil temps folks see who use a cooler. Also, at what temperature does it really become a concern?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
TGIF 1 said:
I'm curious what kind of oil temps folks see who use a cooler. Also, at what temperature does it really become a concern?
My oil temps usually run around 220-230* Overheating the engine oil is never a concern...we use Royal Purple;)

Here's a list of my oil cooling mods.....
94 NA oil filter bracket
Canton filter adapter
Toyota oil filter (someone mentioned they were too small:rolleyes:
Aeroquip hose, firesleeve, and fittings
Fluidyne Therm-Hx Engine Oil Cooler DB-30416
Canton 3 qt Accusump
Autometer oil temp and pressure gauges (mechanical)

Jeff

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've found an excellent solution to be using a dual channel cooler for both oil and PS. Removes the hassle of mounting two small ones, or sticking one in front of the other. A number of different types can be had from Summit
yes i just noticed those! they are quite a novel idea. i'm waiting on a reply about the capacities and other data about one of them now.

make sure you are using larger diameter piping for the oil cooler than the pwr steering one. You'd hate to bottle neck your whole sytem and start poping front main seals because of it.
definitely. i'm gonna go with the SP FMS just in case in addition to some nice lines.

I have seen it asserted on some threads that the 'streamline' oiling mod from Anarkey is unnecessary
yes, i too saw that thread; i figure it can't hurt to have it, and actually hope to throw in some sensors to get some actual readings after i'm through to compare to the stablished stock info.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the track you have massive air-flow at speed....if you do end up doing a double stack you'll have a lot of air-flow overall.... Instead maybe get a thicker and narrower PS cooler and plumb in a oil cooler next to it. There's a decent amount of room in the vent area to work with.
hey derek, long time no see! hopefully i'll catch you at the next big pacnw nationals meet, or local seattle get-together if i ever make it up there :D

i'm in the process of rebuilding my engine bay, and i'm trying to do everything at once and get it all together in one go. i've decided on a pte67 on a cast manifold. i figure it's the "new" turbo that is putting down some great numbers at a very decent spool. and again, worst comes to worst, i've always got the option of selling it for a smaller 63 or 61. i just want to give the mid-range turbos a shot, i've only driven on stock and bpu setups.

i'm not going to fool myself, this will be a killer car for PIR and large tracks of the sort, but i think if i don't keep it in it's rpm range i'll be dead in the water at some smaller tracks. i'll probably end up with something a tad bit smaller in the end; though, i do plan on autocrossing the car this season on the off-weekends with the 67 ... just for fun:)

jeff, where do you have the accusump plumbed in? and is it the high pressure, or regular variety?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Accusump

First off I'm not sure what you mean by high pressure or regular variety. If I close the manual valve when the oil pressure is 80psi ...I have 3qts in the sump at 80psi for startup. Same as if I closed it at 40psi like at idle, the start up oil pressure would be
40. The Accusump has the same operating pressure as the entire system when the engine is running.

Have you even seen those two pipe plugs in the stock filter mount? The large plug is 3/4" NPT and the smaller one is 1/2" NPT

The accusump is plumbed into the large port with an NPT to -8 Aeroquip line. The 1/2" port is used by an Autometer 3441 oil temp gauge. Both work perfectly.

I used an NA oil filter bracket ...custom modified of course;)

Any more secrets you need:cool:

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,572 Posts
Re: Accusump

JWatson said:

Any more secrets you need:cool:

Keep them coming Jeff:)
Its good to have you back, seems that you havent been around here for a while. We need people like you.:)
I saw Powerhouse Turbo near your avatar, dumping the stock twins? For what?
Kale wont mind the thread hijack I promise.:cool:

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://www.accusump.com/acc_products/acc_units.html

here you go, they seem to have two units available in the 3-quart capacity, with diffrent volumes. i can't imagine having the need for the larger unit, i think having the 3-quart on our cars might not even be nessecary 99/100 of the time, but i'm all for that extra margin of safety. :)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I see what you mean now...:)

The one we use is the standard 16" unit. The 22" with the gauge and manual lever is too long and I have to be able to operate it while belted in the car.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Oh yea... Powerhouse Stage 1 (this turbo is GREAT)
PHR MAP/ECU
EVC EZ II

We've ran two SCCA races on the new turbo with stock injectors and had very good results with 2 wins:)

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good PS/oil cooler combo that fits in the driver side duct? In truth the main issue is just cooling the PS... a combo would just be extra insurance.

I'm looking for a part number and a "I've used this on my car." kind of story... :)

Mounting tips would be great as well.

Thanks in advance.
-Chris

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
quick said:
I'm looking for a part number and a "I've used this on my car." kind of story... :)
I've used the Perma-cool PRM-201 for oil (fits into the duct with a little sweet-talking) and the Perma-cool PRM-3311 dual-channel cooler for oil and PS at the same time.

As for mounting, I usually just fab some brackets out of aluminum.

I suppose I could crank out a how-to on these coolers if anyone's interested.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Simba said:
I've used the Perma-cool PRM-201 for oil (fits into the duct with a little sweet-talking) and the Perma-cool PRM-3311 dual-channel cooler for oil and PS at the same time.

As for mounting, I usually just fab some brackets out of aluminum.

I suppose I could crank out a how-to on these coolers if anyone's interested.
thanks, Simba. A "How-To" was exactly my thoughts -- I figured I'd create one as I did the install.

Do you think the dual-channel coolers are the way to go? Should I be concerned about heating the oil with the PS fluid or vice versa in that case?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've got a Greddy oil cooler on mine because I wanted plug and play and it wasn't that much more expensve than piecing something together on my own with top quality parts At the time, I had a FMIC, and was limited to the 10 row, but I'd get the 14 row if you don't have a FMIC. If you're building one from scratch, get a stacked plate cooler (like the cooler pictured here: http://www.batinc.net/coolers.htm) becuase they more effecive and oil is hard to cool. The two brands that I hear recommended most often are Setrab and Mocal.

Eric

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
quick said:
Do you think the dual-channel coolers are the way to go? Should I be concerned about heating the oil with the PS fluid or vice versa in that case?
There are two ways to go, really, and it depends on the setup on the car. If you're going with a FMIC, you can simply stick one cooler in each side and isolate the cores, assuming you're creative with the IC plumbing.

If not, and if you have a pathological revulsion toward blocking the rad in any way as I do, a dual cooler is the best way to go in my experience. Much better than stacking two of 'em.

There is some heat bleed between the two channels, but if your oil gets hot enough to start cooking the PS fluid, you've got bigger issues on your hands. :)

I've not actually measured the rate of bleed between the channels, but it's been on the to-do list for a while. It's fairly minor with any kind of air flow. If you're really paranoid, Perma-Cool makes a dual channel unit with a fan on it.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Eric said:
... get a stacked plate cooler...
I've heard this many times, but I've yet to actually see any hard data either way. I've seen tube and fin coolers do just as good a job as the stacked plate units.

One of these days I'll get around to testing the two core types... I think I need to clone myself. :arcade:

1 - 20 of 115 Posts