Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Part of the MSB club
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I don't know where to post this but here it goes... I just bought a car out of state from a dealer and here in AZ you need to pay out of state tax, which is about $1,800. I need a way to get around this bullshit tax. I was thinking maybe we could give it to our friends with a dealers license and just have them sell it to us for "$3,000" so we just have to pay tax for that 3 grand. Does anyone have any idea's or know how I could get around this? Any help is very greatly appreciated.

-Mike

·
Banned
754 Posts
He's talking about $1800, becasue that is tax percentage of the final amount that he bought the car for. That's why he is wondering if he can cheat the system by selling to another dealership with wholesale and selling it retail to himself for $3000, then he does not have to pay as much. I don't know about that Mike. I can find out from my uncle, but I'm not going to:). Take it easy!!!

~Farhad G.

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
You could probably do that but I wouldnt be surprised if your DMV sends you a letter saying you need to pay more. I tried that in the past with an Eclipse and they told me their book said that it should be atleat be X amount, so they made me pay for it. The supra has a KBB or NADA value of 18k and they are going to squezze another $700 out of you. But I guess it is worth a shot.

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
In most states they refer to BV and tax accordingly depending on the year. Check and see what the cutoff is (what yr) you might be able to lower your tax liability. Ask the seller for two bills of sale one with a nice low amount. If its ridiculously low they will, whether it falls within the cutoff or not , refer to BV. (book value)

Not ventured nothing gained. EVERY state collects tax when you try and register them.

·
Part of the MSB club
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man this sucks so bad, I need a sure fire way to get around this tax.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just wondering, what if you bought out of state from a private party do you still have to pay tax when registering in arizona, or is this only when bought from an out of state dealer? Also what is the percentage?

·
Part of the MSB club
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its only when you buy from a dealer and its ~6.5% plus another ~1.5% on top of all that. Quite gay if I must say so myself. I'm going to try just getting a wholesale dealers lisence and registering the car under that. Hopefully that'll work.

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
If you get a dealers license you never have to register the car or take it to emissions. Just drive around with a dealer plate. You can also sell as many cars in a year as you want. Most people don't know that you can only sell like 4 cars a year with out one. It only cost 110 bucks here in WI.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I bought my car from Cali and when I tranferred the title and registration I put down I bought the car for $500.

Did the dealer write it somewhere on how much you bought the car for???

·
Part of the MSB club
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure, My dad has all the info so I'll have to ask him.

GTR-33 did you get the license at your DMV? If not, where did you get it?

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Just pay it... Who cares. You dropped $22k (or whatever) on a damn car.. pay the measly $1800. Christ.. when I bought my land cruiser in Atlanta, I had to pay indiana sale tax of $1830 plus the cost of tags. I think I dropped $2300 in the BMV.

There is NO WAY around this at this point. Only way you could have gotten around it would be to work a deal with the dealer ship to say you bought the car for $3500. if you sell (or give) it to a dealer, you're still going to have to pay the sales tax on it fro the purchase in CA. Then pay it again for when you purchase it in your state.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts