Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Registering a car as a Hot Rod in Ontario for the emission test.

Long story short - i will be needing an emission test sooner than i expected, and im about 98% sure that it will not pass (no EGR, no cats, freshly rebuild engine with the rings not fully seated yet(burns a little oil)).
In the past i used to rely on a small emission testing place that would basically give me the certificate for 200$ without ever doing the test itself. It seems that there's been a crackdown recently on places like that and they all had their licences taken away.

I was doing some research and i came across this:
http://www.driveclean.com/help/faq18.html
What i'm wondering about is would my car qualify as a "Hot Rod" since i replaced the engine with a JDM 7M and it's a little different from the USDM 7M? If this was so, they'd test my car according to 1980 emission standarts and im pretty sure it'd pass.

Does anyone have any info on this, or any other ways around the emission test in Ontario?

Thanks
Dennis

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
hot rods have to be 20 years old if i recall correctly, and they made etests MUCH harder, i was comparing my 03 test to the new one i just did and the limitations were like half...

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
He was refering to this:

it will be considered a hot rod if the motor differs from the type that was originally offered by the manufacturer for that particular model year.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
mc_h said:
Pretty sure he has a 7M...
No shit, but it is a "JDM" 7M. Byt the engine serial number (if such a thing exists on 7m's?) it should show that it is not the stock american engine.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
from what I know about the Hotrod situation you have to put another motor that was not offered to the car. The 7M motor was the motor available to the car. Now if you put a 2J then it could prob be classified as a hotrod. The 1JZ was originally in the mk3 so that wouldnt work.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Spoolin Turbo said:
from what I know about the Hotrod situation you have to put another motor that was not offered to the car. The 7M motor was the motor available to the car. Now if you put a 2J then it could prob be classified as a hotrod. The 1JZ was originally in the mk3 so that wouldnt work.
Im sure a 2j mkiii technically is illegal. The vin would read a 7m but it would have a 2j for one. And i think it is illegal to swap in a motor to anycar that it didn't originally belong in.

But then when the car becomes a classic which is i think 19+ years then you can do whatever you like.

·
Registered
311 Posts
you guys think our smart ass Canadian MOT would know a JDM version of MA70 comes with 1JZ? Noway man, For them, as long as the engine block isn't 7M, it's not the original motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts