Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guyz i fired up the 1j about 2k miles ago and when i did the first oil change on it before dropping it in i switched over to castrol Syntec (full synthetic) 10-40...cause i had no idea what kind of oil was in it to begin with. I think this was a big mistake...could this have damaged my seals in the turbo and caused my turbos to go out like they did...and now i have a slight oil leak around the valve gasket...could all this be related to switching oils or is it just cause i am dealing with an engine with 100k miles on it...?...anyways my question is ..should i keep running sythetic or should i run a blend? or should i run regular motor oil?...anyways any input would be helpful...thanks

btw....i need a new valve cover gasket...will a 2j valve cover gasket work for the 1j?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
986 Posts
from what i read, using synthetic could be the reason y ur turbo and valve cover seals are bad. but any motor around 100k miles could use a lil work.

im using synthetic as well, and of course i had to do some research before using it on my car. i read that synthetic actually cleans out the motor like a engine flush agent. so if you have some old gunk thats keeping oil from leaking somewhere, chances are, using synthetic will break that up and cause a leak.

as for the 2j gasket. i read it can work and i think a few people tried it already. but you might as well just call up [email protected] toyota, they should have some 1j gaskets in stock. if they dont have it and you need it right away, get the 2j one.

daniel
 

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
Joined
·
10,377 Posts
Your turbos blew because they're old and they do that to everyone eventually.

Your valve cover gaskets are leaking because they're old and they do that to everyone eventually.

Get new turbos or go single and get new VC gaskets and keep running the synthetic oil if you wish.

I'm using a full synth. I don't have these problems. But I also replaced all the major seals before this motor went in... Also just for reference, I'm using the same turbos from my 1st motor which was also ran on full synth for about 15,000 miles.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,731 Posts
I run mobile 1 10w30, no probs. I get over 300whp and 24mpg. No leaks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,966 Posts
OneJoeZee said:
Your turbos blew because they're old and they do that to everyone eventually.

Your valve cover gaskets are leaking because they're old and they do that to everyone eventually.

Get new turbos or go single and get new VC gaskets and keep running the synthetic oil if you wish.

I'm using a full synth. I don't have these problems. But I also replaced all the major seals before this motor went in... Also just for reference, I'm using the same turbos from my 1st motor which was also ran on full synth for about 15,000 miles.
I agree with Joe.
I have been running Mobil 1 10-30 full synthetic in my 1j and have not experienced any oil leaks or blown turbos yet.
If anything, the Synthetic oil helps prevents turbo problems, especially where it does not coke up if u don't idle the car after a run...

I don't think its your oil .
It sounds more like maintenance and age issues on that engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay thats good to know...but does anyone know if a 2j valve cover gasket will work for a 1j?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
2jz valve cover gaskets will work, I have them on my car. No leaks, Mobil 1 10-30 full synthetic also. You can hit up Champion Toyota if you want 1JZ gaskets. -Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
My turbo seals blew about 2000miles after the swap. Other than the seals I have no oil leaks. The car now has 2200miles on full synthetic. My only difference may be that I used synthetic blend when I got up and running. The only reason I think synthetic would "cause" leaks is that it would clean away gunk that is sealing previous leaks in the engine.
 

·
Lagger
Joined
·
216 Posts
Man, that makes me think. Since the swap i have been using castrol 5w50...then after the second oil change i switched to Moutl 15w50 full syn. The 300v verson. I don't know if this made my engine start to smoke. Or if i have always had a bad turbo/seal. But after i went catless it's smoking at idle..
 

·
going broke fast
Joined
·
2,401 Posts
twinturbored90 said:
Man, that makes me think. Since the swap i have been using castrol 5w50...then after the second oil change i switched to Moutl 15w50 full syn. The 300v verson. I don't know if this made my engine start to smoke. Or if i have always had a bad turbo/seal. But after i went catless it's smoking at idle..
the cat will help filter out the burning oil.i had the same issue.i've heard running synthetic in an old motor could wash away deposits that collect on gasket's.then cause a leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
I have a honda accord with 250k miles on it and it runs like a top. I have always used Rotella 15-40 in it, and one time i had to take it to the oil lube place because i couldnt change it and he talked me into puting synthetic pennzsoil in it. About 200 miles after that i develped water pump leaks, valve cover leaks and all kinds of leaks. I took it back and had Rotella put back in it and it took about 1000 miles after that before the leaks stopped. That was my first lesson on never running synthetic on a engine if its used to regular.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
instead of replacing all my seals i think it would be best to go back to regular motor oil at least in my case...i've been running castrol syntec 10-40
 

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
Joined
·
10,377 Posts
That sounds like band aid solution. If you switched to synth and got leaks in places, that means your seals needed to be replaced anyway. You can switch back, but that's a cover up. Just change the seals. They will leak eventually anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
OneJoeZee said:
That sounds like band aid solution. If you switched to synth and got leaks in places, that means your seals needed to be replaced anyway. You can switch back, but that's a cover up. Just change the seals. They will leak eventually anyway.

:werd: you have a 1JZ now, not a 7M :gapteeth: I would listen to his^^^
advice. -Tom
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top