Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know common street premium pump fuel is a bragging right asterisk next to a timeslip or dyno number...but anybody have/know fast regular 87 octane rides?

I think these domestic mags. occasionally have some performance buildups for 87 octane in this day of inflated fuel prices?

Anybody own or can discuss a 12-second or better e.t. 87 octane ride?

These days one can get a high to mid 14-second @ 96 mph Hyundai Azera ??87 octane?? slushbox trannied granny's grocery getter for mid $2x,xxx brand new with 10 year powertrain warranty.

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
awd DSM+ 50 trim turbo= 125MPH and 11's on pump gas

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts
I ran 11s on 87 :D, 9s on the bike on 87 :D

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
I don't think you should look at it that way STAGED. Any motor that can be optimized for regular fuel will always be able to make that much more power on higher grade fuel. The increase in cost is really proportionate to the increase in performance for a tuned car especially. If octane was the only important factor we would all be driving cars that ran on milk with it's 1,000,000+ octane rating. (Makes sense why the world survives on milk now doesn't it?) Unfortunately Milk isn't a highly dangerous combustable fluid.
I know with a simple ODB-2 tune, exhaust and intake the 05 Mustangs are getting 40-50 hp. Add tires and thats a high 12 car.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
get a diesel and go hang with MadDog. you can have like 25 octane and run 10's. :)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It can be argued why accept compromises (durability, performance, etc.) on a performance ride with fuel in the same way one should not skimp on anything less than race gas (or a good mix) with a mega buildup.

Certainly any engine either electronically or mechanically can be set up for any octane.

Only thing that invokes my thoughts here is that some automatic transmissioned grocery getter 87 octane recommended rides (much less Korean ones) are dipping into 14s @90-100 mph, there has got to be some performance types thinking about a fast 87 octane buildup for daily driving purposes (not necessarily their prized grarage queen project rides).

Of course fuel efficiency losses by going to a lower compression ratio and/or less spark timing to run 87 octane can offset any cost savings. Still, I think there will be more 87 octane vehicle features (with stout street numbers) in Car Craft, Hot Rod, etc. in years to come.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
2005+ Mustang GT........

·
King of the Jungle
1,265 Posts
Mr. Wob said:
get a diesel and go hang with MadDog. you can have like 25 octane and run 10's. :)
Definitely. My buddy's Duramax has bigger turbo, intake, chip, stock exhaust because he wants it quiet, etc. and runs mid 13's! And gets 21mpg on the highway cruising at ~70mph. Not bad for a quad cab 4wd full size truck!

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
!^3 said:
Definitely. My buddy's Duramax has bigger turbo, intake, chip, stock exhaust because he wants it quiet, etc. and runs mid 13's! And gets 21mpg on the highway cruising at ~70mph. Not bad for a quad cab 4wd full size truck!

I hate Duramax, but :hail:

Looks like Ohio plates, too :)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
the ass hat at shell put in 87 octane right before i was going to the dyno...we tuned my mr2 to 366rwhp on 87 octane :)

btw with 340rwhp the mr2 goes 11.9 ;)

david

·
King of the Jungle
1,265 Posts
Zylo said:
I hate Duramax, but :hail:

Looks like Ohio plates, too :)
Idaho actually, couldn't you tell by the paved road? ;)

I am not so fond of Duramax either; I'm a Cummins fan through and through, but wow does that truck pull like a 747! It should certainly be illegal to be able to accelerate that fast in a truck that big. In Seattle there is a guy with a 9 second Cummins truck, and more throughout the nation I am sure. Amazing!

·
6,137 Posts
!^3 said:

I love fast diesels. If he put exhaust on that truck alone he could pick up some great gains.

And I would put some bubba stacks on it.

13's is even on the slower side for diesels now. MadDog was running what? 10.49's? in a F-250 or 350? Last I heard he is making a diesel Lightning :eek2:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
!^3 said:
I'm surprised he doesn't have major EGT problems with that stock exhaust. He should go to a bigger aftermarket one for that reason alone. If he wants it quiet throw on some more mufflers.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
My own problem with pumped up diesels is all the damn soot, I don't want to breathe that shit in. Is there no way around that?

·
6,137 Posts
umm dont turn the exhaust stack into the cab?

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Mr. Wob said:
umm dont turn the exhaust stack into the cab?
Funny man :1poke:
Seriously though, I hate to see them spewing all that crap into the air

·
6,137 Posts
gives me an erection :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts