Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading up for a while idk if its just me but im seeing a lot of threads about problems with their supras and posts about stuff breaking all the time? I really want a supra not only because they are rare but they look sexy and can be insanely fast. But with that im starting to worry about buying a car that is going to break down on me left and right. I dont want to have to be worried every time i pull the car out for a ride, that something could go wrong or break? I understand that part about guys worring about if they put a new part on and want to make sure it is doing its job but to haveing to drive w/o a radio everytime is way to much for me. :1poke:

·
TT This
917 Posts
There has been a shift in owners lately. There's alot of newbs out there driving Supras unfortunately. If you modify a car or buy a modified car you better be able to keep up with it or you'll have problems.

·
10'S BABY
3,835 Posts
Smokey1226 said:
After reading up for a while idk if its just me but im seeing a lot of threads about problems with their supras and posts about stuff breaking all the time? I really want a supra not only because they are rare but they look sexy and can be insanely fast. But with that im starting to worry about buying a car that is going to break down on me left and right. I dont want to have to be worried every time i pull the car out for a ride, that something could go wrong or break? I understand that part about guys worring about if they put a new part on and want to make sure it is doing its job but to haveing to drive w/o a radio everytime is way to much for me. :1poke:
Nah dont read too much into that. You have to also consider the fact that many Supra owners are perfectionists as they should be. As an owner I am the same way, but as far as stuff breaking you have to expect that sometimes. You WILL get the Toyota reliability, but sometimes you have to pay to play. What other car can you put down 650RWHP daily and not break or not even have to replace stock equipment drive train wise. Somethings just get old, and since production was halted a while back EVERY car is used and used cars have issues sometimes because you never really know how they were treated before. This being said I can say that my Supra has been the most reliable car I've ever owned and the only time I have had problems was modding it or the reaction to a certain mod.

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
89MKIIIT said:
Nah dont read too much into that. You have to also consider the fact that many Supra owners are perfectionists as they should be. As an owner I am the same way, but as far as stuff breaking you have to expect that sometimes. You WILL get the Toyota reliability, but sometimes you have to pay to play. What other car can you put down 650RWHP daily and not break or not even have to replace stock equipment drive train wise. Somethings just get old, and since production was halted a while back EVERY car is used and used cars have issues sometimes because you never really know how they were treated before. This being said I can say that my Supra has been the most reliable car I've ever owned and the only time I have had problems was modding it or the reaction to a certain mod.
that makes me feel a lil better. I totally understand that when you start modding you need to replace stock stuff, that is completely understanded. What i was referring to was a few posts saying that no matter what they do their car always has problems. Maybe they just dont know what they are doing or what? I just am hopeing to get a mkiv, put a single HPF 67 get it tuned conservitive and have 500-600 without any problems. Is that possible?

·
10'S BABY
3,835 Posts
Smokey1226 said:
that makes me feel a lil better. I totally understand that when you start modding you need to replace stock stuff, that is completely understanded. What i was referring to was a few posts saying that no matter what they do their car always has problems. Maybe they just dont know what they are doing or what? I just am hopeing to get a mkiv, put a single HPF 67 get it tuned conservitive and have 500-600 without any problems. Is that possible?
That is completely reasonable. I run 500 and things couldnt be better. Just remember that power is a lot of power so be sure to take care of it. I guess thats with any car, but be good to it and it'll be good to you..:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
own a 650 hp supra and the only things to go "wrong" are worn out tires and a burnt out clutch. otherwise she takes me to work everyday in heavy traffic the whole way. people just bitch when a) they aren't smart enough to fix problems themselves or b) are too cheap to spend the money required to get the correct parts

ie I just shelled out 3k for an OS giken quad plate - painful - yes, but necessary

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fatkatsupra said:
own a 650 hp supra and the only things to go "wrong" are worn out tires and a burnt out clutch. otherwise she takes me to work everyday in heavy traffic the whole way. people just bitch when a) they aren't smart enough to fix problems themselves or b) are too cheap to spend the money required to get the correct parts

ie I just shelled out 3k for an OS giken quad plate - painful - yes, but necessary
please forgive me for asking a n00b question but what clutch are you useing (idk what the quad plate :1poke: maybe it is the clutch plate ??? ) The reason i ask is because im just wondering what a good clutch would be for a 500-650hp car but one that is still forgiving enough to use in heavy traffic like you said. Not that i will be in heavy traffic at all (pretty wide open land around my area) but i still want one incase i ever run into that situation.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
682 Posts
Smokey, lots of things to consider here and some have been mentioned.

The "newest" Supra is 9 years old. Many have had numerous owners and most have changed things or had things changed by "professionals" that only think they know what they are doing . When cars are modded and performance is enhanced, a degree of reliability is lost. The old pay to play theory. My personal opinion is that Supra's are getting to be cars that need to be carefully inspected before purchasing, especially the modded ones. Mine had everything "professionally" done and I found numerous things that were hacked.
Fortunately, most of it was just small things and I am in a position where I can correct most things myself. This leads to another point. If you have trouble determining which is a phillips
screwdriver and which is not, it can become a real expensive car to own as is true with most performance cars.

Good luck. One last thing. Spend some money up front to have the "Supra of your dreams" checked out carefully. It will be nothing compared to what you will spend if you don't.

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Barton- i agree 100%. I have done work on a lot of cars a couple that were high powered cars but nothing as complex as these supras are. I really had big dreams of buying one and building it to how i want but its starting to look like no matter what im going to need a big bank account to fund anything that comes up. Like you said these cars are 9-12 years old and with time like that there are going to be things that need replaceing. Its hard to say if i should buy one now (18 years old) because i am putting money away for retirement, im funding other investments and i just dont have the money laying around to be able to correct problems that come up like some that do. I really want one but then again i dont want to buy a car that is going to be in pieces for years because i cant fund everything that comes up and parts for the car on top of that?

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
In my limited experience anything that Toyota didn't stick on the car is going to be something that takes away from reliability and longevity. At BPU++++ iot still seems quite reasonable to expect stock reliability BUT things will still go South more quickly so to speak.

Buying: Most cars advertised as 'Never run hard" seem to have about 8 gazillion things on them and anyone who says that up front seems to have it on their mind a little too much IMO. Low mileage or one owner senile owner buys seem to be the safest in general.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Smokey - most of the cars that are being run really hard are having some problems and that is to be expected. I would look for one fairly low miles and BPU something. Even then they can be hacked. Nothing will substitute for checking it over before buying it and requiring good history on the car. I have had two and got detailed history on both.

Bonz - there are a few old farts around like me that have all the bells and whistles but still don't run it hard. They are few and far between though as you said. I run mine at 14psi all the time. It has only been to 18 psi once on a dyno since I bought it. The previous owner ran it to 28 psi on the dyno, but that was about it. I have a small turbo so it spools quickly and makes it fun for me to drive without beating the crap out of it. At least it fills my requirements. And of course there are the stares I get when I roll out of the old folks home lol.

·
Supra Ricer
345 Posts
Like everyone has said here, ANY modded car will require more maintenance. However, even the worst Supra is better than most higher HP cars on the road. The only downfall about them is that the parts are all a pretty penny. Granted, 99% of these products are high quality and you hopefully won't have to replace it again(excluding tires, clutches, brakes, etc of course). Just don't be a skimp and you'll be happy!

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PSiedSC300 said:
Like everyone has said here, ANY modded car will require more maintenance. However, even the worst Supra is better than most higher HP cars on the road. The only downfall about them is that the parts are all a pretty penny. Granted, 99% of these products are high quality and you hopefully won't have to replace it again(excluding tires, clutches, brakes, etc of course). Just don't be a skimp and you'll be happy!
That makes me feel a lil better.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
you will never find a more reliable car that puts down the kind of power that our beloved supras do...in stock form I have seen supras with upwards of 200k and no real issues to speak of..In APU (singled w full fuel) I have seen cars in the lower 200k range....cheap no, realiable yes...at a price....

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
If you do your homework checking out the car before you buy it, it will probably be more reliable than any other car with similar mileage.
But do be prepared to spend some time and money throughout it's life to mod, fix, and maintain it. But this car makes more fun/$ than most!!

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Like the age old saying goes, if you are building a car you can pick any two of the following three words.

Fast, cheap, realiable.

The other thing to consider is this is a forum where owners come for help. You more likely to hear people asking for help and troubleshooting tips when they have a problem, rather then people painly saying, 'my car is running awesome, nothing else to report.'

·
Registered
319 Posts
Smokey1226 said:
please forgive me for asking a n00b question but what clutch are you useing (idk what the quad plate :1poke: maybe it is the clutch plate ??? ) The reason i ask is because im just wondering what a good clutch would be for a 500-650hp car but one that is still forgiving enough to use in heavy traffic like you said. Not that i will be in heavy traffic at all (pretty wide open land around my area) but i still want one incase i ever run into that situation.
Thanks for the help

I am replacing an ogura racing clutch twin plate and it was awesome - very smooth engagement and light pedal action. only made chatter upon pushing the clutch in and even then it was pretty quiet

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Espeefan said:
Like the age old saying goes, if you are building a car you can pick any two of the following three words.

Fast, cheap, realiable.

The other thing to consider is this is a forum where owners come for help. You more likely to hear people asking for help and troubleshooting tips when they have a problem, rather then people painly saying, 'my car is running awesome, nothing else to report.'
Cant i have all three :D but like you said i know this isnt the exact place you should place your decisions on because its here to help people rather than have them tell you how much everything is going right. However it is a good place to get an understanding on what COULD POSSIBLY go wrong and how to/how much it is to fix these problems. I guess if i find a great supra with low miles and passes all my "tests" i can just got bpu++ untill my budget can handle going APU and enough to cover any problems that might occur. Given this car still is faster than 3/4 of the cars on the street in bpu+++ form! And with never driving a car with more than 300hp i guess it would be a great place to learn rather than stepping up into a singled car :1poke:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts