Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had your AEM tuned by a professional so that he hasnt been near the car at all? Just by giving you a base map, then you do a few pulls on the highway or dyno. You send him the logs and he makes corrective changes and so on untill it's perfect...

I was thinking of getting AEM on my car but I'm not sure if I trust the tuners here in Finland to tune AEM because it's a new EMS around here.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Come on Lar....

This is the most dangerous form of tuning, and some of the most time consuming.

I won't do this, as it's just not going to be perfect. It might be "better", but nowhere near where it needs to be. If this could be done well, and efficiently, I would have done it long ago. After even trying some remote management, it still doesn't work expertly. It will work to get you up and running, but it will not suffice for an actual mapping of your car.

Justin

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Come on Lar....

I won't do this, as it's just not going to be perfect. It might be "better", but nowhere near where it needs to be. If this could be done well, and efficiently, I would have done it long ago. After even trying some remote management, it still doesn't work expertly. It will work to get you up and running, but it will not suffice for an actual mapping of your car.

Justin
Well said. Forgot to mention. The two times I did this was to get one car here to tune and the other to a friend to tune out of state

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
Come on Lar....

Justin

Oh I completely agree.... I am totally against it however there is always that one guy that tries to do it all himself and calls me on the phone.... wants me to check his tune. So I have him do a long pull making sure everything is safe and then I can tweak his map from there. There is also the scenario where a customer that I have previously tuned make s small change to his car.... cams, intake manifold etc and wants me to tweak it after that.

But completely tuning a car remotely is not gonna happen.

Well... not for a while until .....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Until..... What? lol

Also you gonna hlep me and remote tune my car, or do you want to come back up to Maine?

·
60 footing
966 Posts
for me here in kuwait we dont have tunner's whats the best way to tune the car other than this way ?

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
for me here in kuwait we dont have tunner's whats the best way to tune the car other than this way ?
Spend a lot of time learning or find a good amount of people who need their car tuned. Then find a tuner that will fly out there to tune those cars

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, well I might then let the tuner tune it here in Finland so that he thinks it's perfect. Then take some logs and let some of you professional guys to take a look at how it looks and make some tweaks. Maby that would work? I'm mainly conserned that how he will be able to tune the automatic transmission maps as I am sure he has not done this.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
If he has tuned more than a couple AEM EMS's he will be able to pickup tuning an automatic easily with a little research. I had never tuned an automatic with an AEM EMS. Did a little research (AEMPro Help, etc) and had no problems. You can still e-mail the calibration and internal datalogs to tuners here in the States to give you their opinion but if you trust your tuner you shouldnt have a problem

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't while on the dyno. I'm really suprised some of you tuners that travel haven't setup remote desktop connections to dyno computers (the dyno shop would need either broadband or a phone line connected to the dyno pc). Oh, and have the AEM software on the dyno computer and connected to the car. Throw in a speaker phone, and your money.

An easy way would be WebEx sessions to initiate the remote control.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't while on the dyno. I'm really suprised some of you tuners that travel haven't setup remote desktop connections to dyno computers (the dyno shop would need either broadband or a phone line connected to the dyno pc). Oh, and have the AEM software on the dyno computer and connected to the car. Throw in a speaker phone, and your money.

An easy way would be WebEx sessions to initiate the remote control.

Just a thought.
A lot of shops dont have their dyno's computer connected to a network. Probably dont want more software on their dyno's computer. And finding a cord long enough to reach the EMS. You also have to factor in problems arising with the car, being able to read the plugs, connection problems, etc.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I could offer you guys a solution for that.

It would be no problem at all to view the dyno and control the ECU connected laptop in real time while it is sitting on the dyno from any computer in the world with a decent internet connection. Even if the shop with the dyno does not have the dyno computer on a network, Even if the shop has no internet connection at all.. it is not an issue.

Compared to some of the real time solutions I have designed and put togther, this is a walk in the park ;)

As long as it is at a shop, and on a dyno; simple things like reading the plugs should be no problem. besides things like plugs are nothing a quick snap shot with a high res digital camera that you could view within a few seconds of viewing will not solve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts