Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove and clean the fiberglass pad under the hood of my 97 Supra. I know there are plastic clips that hold it up. What tool do you use to snap them out? Any tricks or suggestions? I bought one at Advance, but it doesn't seem to work. What I bought has a little "V" shaped end to it. Of course, being upside down doesn't help!

Thanks!

·
Boost Junkie
12,401 Posts
You'll probably destroy it trying to take it out. I'd recommend just getting a new one.

Steve

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,229 Posts
The clips look like this:

If they won't pry out easily, you may have to cut them to get them out. Then buy a pack of 10 new ones.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I tried to clean mine without taking it off and it wasn't worth the time or effort. It was a little brittle in some spots and even the lightest pressure made it look worse. Steve is right, better off getting a new one or not even worry about it pending how dirty yours is.

·
Boost Junkie
12,401 Posts
Thanks to all for the advice! I priced a new pad and it was about $300, so I thought it was worth trying to clean. Guess not!
It will literally disintegrate if you take it off. I drove to Elmhurst to pick up my new pad when I bought it since shipping would have damaged it.

Steve

·
Registered
806 Posts
question, why would you want to keep the pad anyway?

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,448 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
when my pad was dirty all i did was clean it with a wet sponge ad some dawn , worked great , you have to be really careful though, and after many years it started looking dull and then i bought a new one and had a body shop take it off the old one and put the new one on
I drove for about 6 months with pad off really did not like the look, to me having the pad on gives the side under hood a finished look

·
Registered
806 Posts
ive removed pads on all my cars. no real issues. it's much better because during the winter months esp with snow on the hood, it melts much faster, didn't think about the fire smother as everyone has said, the original ones are older than aids.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts