Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I remove the timing belt case with the head still on? I want to replace the oil pump drive shaft seal, the front main seal, and the seals on the timing belt case where it meets the block, but I really don't want to take the head off if I can avoid it. Is it necessary to remove the head in order to do this? The thing that I'm talking about isn't the timing belt cover that's on the exterior of the engine, I'm talking about the actual front engine piece that the water pump is attached to (it's the thing in step 14 here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=EM&Page=67 )
I'm not trying to be cheap or anything with this, I just want to save unnecessary time spent because I have a lot of work to do. If I need to remove the head I will, I just don't want to if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
the headgasket seals to it, dunno if it can be done without pulling the head because of this...

the oil pump drive seal and front main are replaceable without removing that cover, I doubt the other seals would go out unless you've messed with the torque on the bolts (my 150k mile motor was still perfectly sealed on those)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've heard it is possible to remove the lower rear timing belt case without pulling the head, but as Poodles said, it's not necessary in this case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts