Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Champagne Papi
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm starting to prepare the car for the big meet next month (http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?994697-Let-s-have-a-meet!) and so my stock front lip has a few scuffs and scratches from the previous owner i'd like to remove. I tried searching but didn't find anything useful, I vaguely remember reading a thread about using a hair dryer to remove them but can't find it. Let me know, thanks!

·
yup, reefed it
886 Posts
I started a similar thread a while ago for an MK3. I'd imagine it'd be the same for the MK4. A member recommended using finer and finer grades of sandpaper. Start with whatever coarseness is needed to remove the defects, like 400 grit. Then work your way up from there; like 800, then 1200, then 2000, then 3000. I'd then use a 5000 grit Trizact pad to make it as smooth as possible before switching to a buffer/rubbing compound, then polish. The 5000 grit pad will really cut down on the time needed to buff it out with the compound.
I got a 6" Griots random orbital buffer a while ago, and I'm really glad I opted for the package that includes the companion 3" buffer. That little sucker has come in really handy for all sorts of odd jobs. Get a foam interface pad so the sandpaper conforms to the contoured surface. The 'hook-and-loop' (Velcro) interface makes changing out the pads/sandpaper super easy. Put a black stripe on the backing pad so you can see it spinning. When it bogs down it'll stop spinning and just agitate, which is hard to tell is happening unless you put a marking on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts