Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my new baby is almost complete..i bought it wrecked and the compressor and clutch assembly was damaged in the wreck.. the previous owner had already removed the lines and condensor from the damage so ive decided to just toss it all for a little while until i get the bugs worked out everywhere else..anyways, my question is, im sure someone has removed the a/c compressor and ran there rides with out it...what size belt are you running and how do you have it routed? just wanting to be sure i get it right..please help..lol..thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after searching for a routing diagram for like 2 hours..im still coming up with nothing..i read another SF member done this, and used a 47" belt..not to critisize in any way, but i just tried a 60 and it was like just at 3" to big..so i must have it routed wrong..but since my ride has a brand spankin new front clip on it(thanks Toyota)lol, i have no idea how its supposed to be routed..PLEAASSE help guys..

·
Nice White Supra
297 Posts
Im having the same problem finding the right belt. What I did for now so I can still drive my car is I rerouted my stock belt just like this. If you find out a belt number that fits please let me know.

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
the 47" belt is to remove both ac and ps. im actually looking for the belt just to remove ac too. i think measuring with a string than going to a shop and finding the right length will do.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Just tie a string around and mark it and then take it to a parts shop along with your factory belt and say 'I need this belt but this length' and get the one the recommend. If you're not sure you can get the next longer size and next smaller size to make sure you have it and then return the other two. Just remember that the longer the belt the more it will stretch so you want it pretty snug when new.

As for the routing, wish I could help but I'm getting ready to do this mod myself and am not sure what it will look like once removed.

Curious if you guy removed all the related A/C components or just the compressor? I would like the get rid of the freon tank and lines and condenser and the cooler. Did the same on the Typhoon and it sure cleans up the bay nicely. I've never used my A/C (or roof for that matter... only when caught in a freak rain storm) so there's no reason to have the extra drag on the crank and extra weight (50lbs??) from all the components. I'll never even miss it.

·
Nice White Supra
297 Posts
I removed everything that had to do with the ac under the hood. The compressor, condensor, lines, ect. The only things i didnt remove where the the parts under the dash. like the blower unit b/c i still need heat.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
NiceWhiteSupra said:
I removed everything that had to do with the ac under the hood. The compressor, condensor, lines, ect. The only things i didnt remove where the the parts under the dash. like the blower unit b/c i still need heat.
Any pics of the completed project?

How did you discharge it or did you just 'let er rip' w/o any other preparation?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did measure last night fellas...looks like its gonna take either a 57 or 58 incher...ill keep ya posted tonight when i get it completed..

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
SupraStud said:
i did measure last night fellas...looks like its gonna take either a 57 or 58 incher...ill keep ya posted tonight when i get it completed..
You must pull the tensioner to its midpoint spring location before measuring the total length to get the correct belt size!

-scott

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i think that minusing an inch from the total measured length should do the trick..thats what i did anyways..lol..i aslo just found a routing diagram..so im gonna remeasure again just to be sure that thats how i did it.thanks guys and ill keep ya up dated

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok guys..after the completion..it takes a 73" belt with the a/c compressor removed..let me know if you need routing pictures but i believe its the same as routed from the factory..just skipping the compressor..

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
SupraStud said:
ok guys..after the completion..it takes a 73" belt with the a/c compressor removed..let me know if you need routing pictures but i believe its the same as routed from the factory..just skipping the compressor..

73.. are you sure. it takes a 47 to remove both ps and ac. how would one more pulley make it 73 inches. thats more than stock.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
What is going on in this thread? :greddy2:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol..well there may be more than one option on belt sizes im assuming according to the way you route it..the only way to route it and get the maximum amount of belt on the crank pulley, requires the 73 inch belt..mines perfect fellas and running great..no worries about slipping..the shorter belt will work but theres no way you have enough belt on the crank pulley to prevent slippage and pre-mature wear man..if someone wants to host some pics for me of the way i routed mine, ill send em too ya...not trying to be a smart [email protected]# in anyway but believe me, i went to the parts house about 20 times after routing it and measuring numerous times.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
SupraStud said:
lol..well there may be more than one option on belt sizes im assuming according to the way you route it..the only way to route it and get the maximum amount of belt on the crank pulley, requires the 73 inch belt..mines perfect fellas and running great..no worries about slipping..the shorter belt will work but theres no way you have enough belt on the crank pulley to prevent slippage and pre-mature wear man..if someone wants to host some pics for me of the way i routed mine, ill send em too ya...not trying to be a smart [email protected]# in anyway but believe me, i went to the parts house about 20 times after routing it and measuring numerous times.
I'll host 'em up for ya. PM sent.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
awesome...look for pics at 6 pm tommorrow night guys..gotta take some and i dont get off work until 5:30..ill get em for ya guys though

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
SupraStud said:
awesome...look for pics at 6 pm tommorrow night guys..gotta take some and i dont get off work until 5:30..ill get em for ya guys though
Assuming of course I have time around 6:00. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts