Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does intake manifold have to come off to remove the 2 bolts holding the camshaft shaft position sensor? With my titan fuel rail just about inch away from cps, it seems impossible to unscrew the 2 screws securing the sensor. Any tips guys?

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Without seeing it, it's hard to say. Obviously, use an open end wrench. The CPS also needs clearance to pull it straight out.

The stock intake manifold is the biggest PITA, has to come off for almost anything. Hopefully not your job though.

Al

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a picture. The cps sits in a slight angle so it seems impossible to put a wrench down there to wrench.

Without seeing it, it's hard to say. Obviously, use an open end wrench. The CPS also needs clearance to pull it straight out.

The stock intake manifold is the biggest PITA, has to come off for almost anything. Hopefully not your job though.

Al

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean remove the thick black hose? Sorry I'm a nub at this lol

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was bit worried that removing unknown hoses will create a bubble in the system and what not. Would you remove a hose without knowing what consequences it follows? Of course I can pull a hose and put it back on. That is not my point here. If you don't have any constructive thing to say, please dont' bother posting nonsense. Thanks

You can remove anything as long as you remember how to get it back on. Seriously.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yes the thick black hose that is in the way. Dont worry you can put it after the job is done.About the sensor:remove its fuse first.The screws require some patience as you wil be able to turn 1/8 turn each time until you remove it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok Thank you Sprasss!

Yes the thick black hose that is in the way. Dont worry you can put it after the job is done.About the sensor:remove its fuse first.The screws require some patience as you wil be able to turn 1/8 turn each time until you remove it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I was bit worried that removing unknown hoses will create a bubble in the system and what not. Would you remove a hose without knowing what consequences it follows? Of course I can pull a hose and put it back on. That is not my point here. If you don't have any constructive thing to say, please dont' bother posting nonsense. Thanks
I really wasn't trying to be a dick, I was saying that this engine is pretty basic to work on and that if you can get a hose/bolt/nut off easily it is easy to put it back together. There are very few one time use parts on this engine. The biggest pain is when your hoses volcanize and just shatter when you work on them. That is the toughest part.

I realize not knowing which hoses are air and which are liquid makes it more difficult but if you trace them to their source you will know what it is. The only liquid hoses on that side up top are the two that go to the iacv. Under the intake manifold there are a couple coolant hoses though. That large hose you remove is just a pcv hose at most there will be a little oil in it from blow by

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry I was being a dick :) I was at work and was stressed out. Thank you for elaborating on which hoses have liquid in them. Sorry I'm such a noob at this and I was just worried that I will make a big boo boo. Only mechanical work I've performed on a car was to change a battery out. I just got frustrated last night because I received a new camshaft sensor and I thought to myself, this I can do myself. But after attempting for 1 hour and with busted knuckles, I gave up. Anyways, thank you for the explanation and I apologize for sassy comment above. My stupidity got best of me. Thanks Samurai!

I really wasn't trying to be a dick, I was saying that this engine is pretty basic to work on and that if you can get a hose/bolt/nut off easily it is easy to put it back together. There are very few one time use parts on this engine. The biggest pain is when your hoses volcanize and just shatter when you work on them. That is the toughest part.

I realize not knowing which hoses are air and which are liquid makes it more difficult but if you trace them to their source you will know what it is. The only liquid hoses on that side up top are the two that go to the iacv. Under the intake manifold there are a couple coolant hoses though. That large hose you remove is just a pcv hose at most there will be a little oil in it from blow by

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
Fly me to hawaii and ill take the whole car apart and put it back together if you want...

Like was already said, biggest issue you will find with these cars are mostly time related. Cracked connector clips, brittle hoses, and bolt corrosion are issues you must be willing to encounter and fix.

Why are you pulling the cps?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
HotSoup you will be my dedicated mechanic :) Reason why I'm replacing CPS is because I'm having a minor hot start issue. Car starts fine cold but after it warms up, it cranks but won't turn over unless I let the car cool down for like 10 mins or so. Ian from FSR remote logged into my proefi112 and diagnosed that my cam sensors are not sending signals when car is hot during start up. So I'm switching out both crankshaft and camshaft sensors. Crankshaft sensor is easy access, you just have to jack up the car but camshaft PITA!

Fly me to hawaii and ill take the whole car apart and put it back together if you want...

Like was already said, biggest issue you will find with these cars are mostly time related. Cracked connector clips, brittle hoses, and bolt corrosion are issues you must be willing to encounter and fix.

Why are you pulling the cps?

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
HotSoup you will be my dedicated mechanic :) Reason why I'm replacing CPS is because I'm having a minor hot start issue. Car starts fine cold but after it warms up, it cranks but won't turn over unless I let the car cool down for like 10 mins or so. Ian from FSR remote logged into my proefi112 and diagnosed that my cam sensors are pretty not sending signals when car is hot during start up. So I'm switching out both crankshaft and camshaft sensors. Crankshaft sensor is easy access, you just have to jack up the car but camshaft PITA!
Makes sense, do you have some electrical background? Id like to know what the sensors test at hot vs cold. Also, right now would be a great time to upgrade to digital sensors.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Unfortunately, no electrical background. My car was just recently tuned by Jason Siebel, owner of proefi, right before it left Arizona. I was told that car didn't have a hot start issue when it left Arizona so I'm baffled. Maybe the temperature change in Hawaii? I guess car is running more hot here and 18 years old years CPS is heating up more than usual and not sending signal at startup? I don't know if I'm making any sense at all here :)

Makes sense, do you have some electrical background? Id like to know what the sensors test at hot vs cold. Also, right now would be a great time to upgrade to digital sensors.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But car runs fine at other times, no hesistation, no idle issue, boosting fine, and runs like a champ!

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
It really sounds tune related honestly, thats why I was wondering what the sensors measured.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did you ever figure out the problem? My car also has this hot start issue and requires about 10 mins of cooling down, I personally believe it's the tune but I will check the cam sensors if that fixed your problem.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I did resolve my hot start issue. It was a bad camshaft sensor connector. I cut the old harness and spliced a new connector and now issue is gone. I didn't replace the cam sensor, just the factory plug. I'm assuming the terminal inside the plug was going bad and not providing good connection when engine was hot.

Did you ever figure out the problem? My car also has this hot start issue and requires about 10 mins of cooling down, I personally believe it's the tune but I will check the cam sensors if that fixed your problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts