Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
regretfully supraless
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, so my "JDM 7MGTE" ain't so JDM...turns out it's actually USDM (I didn't know enough about Toyota motors when I bought the car)...so anyways, since I won't pass emissions anyways (no cat) I figured I might as well remove the restrictive POS...what all do I have to do?

·
way over budget
664 Posts
take the cooler off, other wise you still have a huge pocket of heat on the back of the head. just make a plate for where it goes into the cooler, you'll see what to make once you take it off. you'll need a plate for the intake chamber too, then re-route some vacume lines

·
MА70>MA71>SC400
792 Posts
You might pass visual emisions, anyway I wouldnt recomend doing that if you want to drive the car without getting fined.

But if youre trying to get rid of it completely remove the cooler in the back of the head, use block of plate to cover the hole, and the holes on the intake manifolds there are couple there.

And there is about 6156461684 of these posts hanging on the board search and you shall get all kinds of results even with awesome pics

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If your engine has the EGR system it does not necessary mean that its not a JDM engine. The previous owner of the car might've installed the system to comply with the emissions regulations.
Kinda off topic, but a good way to know if your engine is a JDM one or not would be inspecting the metal coolant pipe on the back of the head and how its connected to the heater core. Jdm cars had the heater core return hose going into the metal pipe on the passenger side (as opposed to driver's side on USDM engines).

·
MА70>MA71>SC400
792 Posts
I would think that if you dont pass your inspection the information goes to the bmv or if cops see you smogging they can ticket you. I can already smell your exhaust fumes:D
In different state different laws.

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
Just do what every other self respecting government hating car enthusiast does and pay to get a fake emissions. Its like 150 or 200$ for one and then you say fu to the stupid emissions control

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,078 Posts
sxymk3 said:
.........I figured I might as well remove the restrictive POS...
The EGR is not restrictive! The only reason to remove the EGR system is if you remove the cooler plate off the back of the head which eliminates heat from around the number 6 hole, otherwise you're not accomplishing anything. You pretty much need to have the engine out of the car to do this..............now go do a search for more info!

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
Rajunz said:
The EGR is not restrictive! The only reason to remove the EGR system is if you remove the cooler plate off the back of the head which eliminates heat from around the number 6 hole, otherwise you're not accomplishing anything. You pretty much need to have the engine out of the car to do this..............now go do a search for more info!
very well said. there's no reason to remove EGR. if anything it helps you get better gas mileage @ cruise....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts