Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahoy. Mothers AL polish is inefficent at removing 40 year old oxidation from polished aluminum wheels, although the end result is supoib! :) Any recommendations on removing the oxidation that is quicker at doing the job? I considered Simple Green, but am on the fence with that.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The oxidation will leave a greyish stain on the wheel. Depending on the severity of the oxidation, I usually use 3M 500, 1000, then 2000 grid wet sand, to sand the grey surface away, leaving a fresh surface.
I then use 3M aluminum polish and high speed buff.
Repeat sanding and polishing utill you get you desired effect.

·
VPC Power
1,957 Posts
Be careful with the simple green. Please don't let it sit on your wheels for too long or if they are hot or in direct sunlight.

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
I have had great success with Heave Metal Polishes -

http://www.heavymetalpolish.com/Products/Polishes/

I have only used the medium and fine and the medium took care of what little oxidation I had and following that up with the fine yielded awesome results. This is by far the best polish I have used and I've tried pretty much all that is out there. If you have bad oxidation I'd try the course abrasive first and follow up with either the medium and then fine or just jump straight to fine.

My .02-

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help, I will take all input into consideration. I like Euphorics advice though, sounds like it might work best since there are stages of polish to use. I think I will try with course as the polished AL is a very dull grey, I was shocked to see what it looked like once the oxidation was removed. If any one has any more suggestions, I'd be very much appreciative.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I use the 3M based on experiences of polishing the leading edges on small aircraft' wings.

I will take Euphoric's suggestion also and try this polish on a big compressor housing that I am currently working on at this moment. This looks promising.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts