Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the tranny tomorrow, me and a couple of friends are gonna do it. Anything i should know befor doing it? Ive changed a few manual tranny's on firebirds, but never an auto.

Pretty much the same procedure though right?

Braces, driveshaft, bell houseing?

Can someone give me a quick how to on any hidden bolts or any wierd extensions I might need? Or just basic things i need to know.

thanks

·
Medium Ballin'
3,024 Posts
don't forget the converter bolts. IIRC there are 3 of them, might be more on the supra, can't remember, only done one of them. that's pretty much equivalent to seperating the clutch/flywheel on a 6spd. im pretty sure there is an extra ECU connector but I'm not completely sure on that either for TC lockup. once you get the bellhousing unbolted, lower it down slowly and if you see any extra connectors gett hem out before lowering it anymore. be sure to not support the tranny on the connectors by accident or you could destory them.

basically it's fairly similiar with the exception of the automatic having converter bolts and a dipstick tube, and being a little bit bigger at its base.

·
en hopup veritas
165 Posts
Be sure to support the back of the motor when you remove the tranny. If the car still runs sequentially its important not to crush and/ or cut the 2 lines that run behind the head againts the firewall. These 2 lines go to and from the pressure tank. If the motor is allowed to rock back against the firewall its very easy to damage those lines. Also be sure not to pull down too hard on the back of the tranny when taking it out as this can crush and/ or cut the lines too. It can make for some pretty major headaches if those lines are damaged. Some of the most elusive "no boost from #2 turbo" conditions have arisen because of this. If they are cut then the car will not go onto the #2 turbo. I have seen other conditions were the softlines are cut slightly and the car will intermittently go onto #2 and other times it won't. I have also seen one case where the hose clamps were damaged and it started cutting on the softline and it took weeks for the boost problems to arise. I have also seen were the hardline part is just flat smashed. Hope that helps some

Matt

·
Kwan Jul Sul Freak
928 Posts
Hey Screwdrvr,

Good luck on your removal/installation. I am planning on doing mine in a few months. If you could, report back and post how it goes. I am very curious. Thanks bro!

-GF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts