Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to do it without the SST?

I read through a Chilton's Repair book and the Supra Online Manual but I cant get the crankshaft pulley off.

I have used an Impact wrench while keeping the rocker arms/pistons in place and Ive tried hammering a Box end wrench but the damned crankshaft still wont come off.

Does anyone know any tricks to get it off without an SST?

Thanks!

[I also, posted this in the Technical section]

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Rocker... arms? ;)

I braced a breaker bar on some concrete blocks and flicked the starter. I don't really recommend this method, but it will work in a pinch.

Oh, make sure you have it on the right way, or you can kiss your accessory drive system goodbye.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol i call them rocker arms so hush :p

and the block is by itself on an engine stand so I wouldnt be able to flick the starter..

[Im kinda mechinally challenged so if I say something wrong please forgive me]

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
my brother made a bracket thing when i got my new motor and bolted it to the flywheel bolts and the block or something, i cant remember, but it wasnt on an engine stand, it was sittin on a crate. but then we got a Huge breaker bar and busted it loose.

·
function > form
512 Posts
Since it's on an engine stand... don't some people stick a block of wood between a rod and the block, make sure it's snug, then just use a huge breaker bar? Try spraying some penetrating oil in there, too.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Since it's on an engine stand... don't some people stick a block of wood between a rod and the block, make sure it's snug, then just use a huge breaker bar? Try spraying some penetrating oil in there, too.
Sorry, I missed the part re: using a power tool. The suggestion above has worked for many. Some have used multiple pieces of wood in place to distribute the force a bit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
here what i did: raise the car, get a breaker bar and make sure its on a 45 facing downward then put a jackstand there. Lower the car why the breaker bar rests on jack stand.... bolt is off

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hehe, man I really wish my engine was still in the car =[

·
Addicted to oil
3,292 Posts
I removed mine when it was on an engine stand. Put 2 flywheel bolts on the end of the crankshaft. Put a wrench or bar in between the 2 bolts. That should put it from turning. 3 foot breaker bar did the rest. You might pull the engine and stand off the ground.

Dennis

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya ill prolly try that, but what I dont get is: my Impact wrench says it can put out 500ft/lbs of torque. I would think thats way more than I could do manually with a breaker bar...

·
Registered
54 Posts
A long pipe will help you.

I had to do it twice: once with the engine in the car and once with the engine off.

When in the car put it in 5th gear and apply the hand brake. Slide a long pipe on the breaker bar and use it this way.

When the engine is off the car I had to bolt another 6ft metal bar to the flywheel.

BTW, in both cases an impact wrench did not do much. I even raised the pressure to 150 psi on the 90 psi wrench with no result.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hehe, ya thats what I did with the wrench.

Thanks for all the help again guys, Im gonna just try to use a long bar and pray.

·
Addicted to oil
3,292 Posts
I tried an impact wrench also. Didn't do anything for me. I'm not sure of its torque rating though.

Dennis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts