Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my blown turbo and I have just about everything unbolted. I just wanted to see if it was possible for it to come out without removing the elbow. It looks like it should be able to come out. If I have to take the downpipe off at the elbow it looks like I'll have a lot more work ahead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,727 Posts
the DP unbolts with like 4 nuts. not that much trouble. when i pulled my turbo off it was a SOB cuz the oil lines dont like to come off easy. pulled it like no tomorrow and it came off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
yup, the pipe is no problem! i can remove a turbo complete in about 35-40 minutes. it is soo easy after the first one! even easier after the 3rd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
The worst part about the turbo is reinstalling it and trying to get those damn banjo bolts to line back up :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna take off the dp. There's just been a lot of rust down there :). I wasn't sure if I could just get it off from the top at the elbow instead of taking off the dp.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,301 Posts
7maliciousgte said:
I'm gonna take off the dp. There's just been a lot of rust down there :). I wasn't sure if I could just get it off from the top at the elbow instead of taking off the dp.
Take the elbow and DP off together. Just unbolt the elbow at the turbo and slide it out from the bottom. Doing it this way is 100 times easier than trying to remove the DP from the elbow while it's on the car.
 

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
Joined
·
2,995 Posts
Trent said:
Take the elbow and DP off together. Just unbolt the elbow at the turbo and slide it out from the bottom. Doing it this way is 100 times easier than trying to remove the DP from the elbow while it's on the car.
Exactly what I found. Its much better to take it off with the elbow attached. It saves you fiddling underneath with a bunch of extensions and swivels and getting yourself pissed off and stripping the bolts, etc.

Only other thing i can think of is to make sure you unbolt the oil outlet pipe at the block first when taking it off and bolt it onto the turbo (not the block) when putting it back on. Undoing it from the block first prevents you from bending it when taking it off so that it will all line up perfectly when putting it back.

When I first did it I undid the bolt for the oil pipe at the turbo first and ripped it off which kind of bent it. Then I bolted it to the block first and tried to put the turbo back on like that. It was impossible. You can't line up all the things at once. I bent the shit out of it and ended having to take it off and use a spare one I had because I bent it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,727 Posts
ya i would say take it off that the block too cuz i took it off at the turbo and that shit sucked.
 

·
Project Sleepra
Joined
·
279 Posts
stonedworm said:
The worst part about the turbo is reinstalling it and trying to get those damn banjo bolts to line back up :eek:
:werd:

I'm kicking myself as we speak... I can't get the goddamn oil feed line to match back up...

do yourself a favor and order the JBL stainless steel oil feed lines. I'm cursing myself for not doing the same... :sadwavey:
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top