Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best way to remove the coating on the valve covers? im polishing them and i dont know if its heat treated or can just be removed with a very abrasive thinner. im pretty sure its heat treated (powder coated) so i would have to sand it or glass bead it off
lmk
john

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
aircraft stripper you can get it at autozone.
becarefull its toxic if you touch it make sure to use gloves

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I second the aircraft stripper. You can also use a flapper wheel on a drill or buffer to just sand it off while polishing. It may clog the grit though if it's very thick. I'm considering having a set of valve covers ceramic coated - the heck with maintaining a polished finish! ;)

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just decided to send them to be glass bead blasted...itll probably be the cheapest and the way that smooths them out the best then my dremel and die grinder will go at it

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Don't use the Dremal except for tight places, it will screw up the finish. Consider a sanding flapper wheel on a drill clamped to a vise. A buffer wheel on the same drill with some compound will work well too.

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
Industrial grade grinders work much better, I did my whole manifold and battery clamp... at 27k rpm you cant go wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts