Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My black 97 still has original factory paint. Overall, paint is in good condition. However, there are so many rock chips on front end. I'm really tempted to repaint front bumper, front fenders, and hood. Will this hurt resale value in the future? Or is it better to paint the whole car? Thanks guys

·
Registered
215 Posts
If it doesn't bother you, don't bother. leave it to the next owner.

clear bra will make the rock chips less noticeable, but it will cost upwards of $2k+ for the front end alone.

in my opinion, Supra is no classic ferrari or porsche, which people go after original everything. as long as you have original panels, all VIN labels in place, it'll be fine. ALL original paint in good condition is another story, though.

I would just respray the bumper, and do a good touch up on the fender and hood.

·
JZA80
3,121 Posts
If your planning on painting the entire front end, might as well spring for the extra dough and do the entire car.

While you're at it, pop for new weather stripping, window trim, moulding, etc... It's amazing how fresh the car will feel after these updates. I am about to undergo a similar operation with my 98' Quicksilver car.

Also, it shouldn't hurt resale value if done properly in my opinion.

464 Posts
If the front has rock chips all over it, paint the whole car, not just half the car. It will not hurt the value, it will increase the value if it is a good quality paint job.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for input guys. Glad to hear Supra buyers are not so anal of everthing being original. This is why I love Supra :)

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
if you just paint the front bumper and someone like me who is very anal about body and paint..first thing i would probably think is the car was hit lol

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
I face the same situation, but will be doing Dr. Color Chip using the "shoe polish" method. You can cover large areas and fill in many small chips at once. Give it a look if you have time.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a similar situation and decided to just paint the entire car. I bought a 97 with less than 30k on it. Car had a body kit molded on it. Easier to repaint the entire car than blend everything.

The last production yr is approaching 20 yrs old. I don't think its out of the question to have a car pushing 2 decades to have some paint work done to it to look mint.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thanks for input guys. Glad to hear Supra buyers are not so anal of everthing being original. This is why I love Supra :)
A lot of them are, but you are getting good advice in here, why drive/own a car if the paint looks like crap just because it's original is my argument. You can get a beautiful and most often nicer looking then stock paint job done and it will raise the value for the vast majority of people. Different argument for collectors who just let cars sit in their garage and waste away slowly...

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Black is easy to paint just whatever panels you want. You can take advantage of that fact and paint only the front clip like you're originally thinking. I did this 3 times between 2 black supras 15yrs ago, and yes just for rock damage. Came out beautiful and blended perfectly fine with the rear of the car all buffed and detailed. I cruised my car for years to come as was one of the cleanest daily driven supras on the road. Now, of course this was with a great quality prep and paint - done by myself, an anal bastard when it comes to painting and buffing shit correctly. So, that's the trickiest part - finding the right GUY (not just the shop's name) to put his hands on the job and do you right. Besides, painting the front half is much cheaper than the entire car + moldings, yada yada yada....and with THAT, you'll have even MUCH more flaws to worry about by the time the shop is done squeezing you out of their way, heh.

Edit: as far as resale value etc..well that's just a matter of opinion on all levels. Can't say there's 1 correct answer for that concern.

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
if it were me and you plan to keep the car for a while I would paint the whole thing like others suggested and replace all of the moldings/seals/trim before they are discontinued. The car is 20 years old at this point. That's what I did to my Supra in 2015. Document what you do and it will not hurt resale at all, in fact it should only help if they do a quality job. Expect to pay $8-$12K depending on work required.

Steve

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I would repaint the entire car. IMO, original paint is over rated; especially on these cars. It cracks me up when I see a beat to shit front end and owner saying "original paint" LoL. I prefer to have clean/nice looking car then having to tell everyone my paint is original..

·
-Question Conjecture-
3,027 Posts
Respraying WILL hurt the value, but to a particular buyer. The front bumper cover is plastic, so that doesn't matter,* but the metal parts are what count.

Post a few pics of the chips on the hood/fenders.

·
Boost Creep
3,491 Posts
These cars are getting older, its harder and harder to find great condition original paint.

If documented, I think new paint wouldn't hurt resale. Who the heck wants to drive around with a car with tons of rock chips and scratches in it.

Might as well clear bra after the paint too.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
...deciding on painting only half also depends on what the rear half of your car looks like. Does it still have plenty of clarity to it (after a decent detail)? I find these black supras usually hold up pretty well compared to the other colors, like red (pink) and tired chalky white for instance.

There are a few "if"s posted in this thread ---> "painting the whole car is better choice *IF* it's done right." There's a fair amount of truth and/or logic in this thread now that these cars are 20yrs old, but just remember that's a HUGE "if"....and painting the front half of a car is much easier (less prep drama for all the clowns in the Bodyshop) than painting the rear half.

Another "for instance" with paint work is: it's very common to bring your car in for paint repair because of 1 or 2 issues, and when you get it back you now have 20 other flaws to complain about or live with because, well, your car is just another job on the papers to get out of the way for the next one. It's just the hard truth in that blue collar profession.

·
SF Sexy Member
355 Posts
Do not repaint the OEM color.

Do you not love battle scar (front end rock chips)?

If its a garage queen do whatever.

·
Registered
945 Posts
^ You can't be serious

Also original paint is ONLY worth more if it's in excellent condition, yours sounds like it isn't, so why people would keep it original and looking like shit is beyond me. Why would a collector want that, original only matters if in good condition. Plus with the history and of the car it may have already had anels painted. Mine did.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Black is easy to paint just whatever panels you want. You can take advantage of that fact and paint only the front clip like you're originally thinking. I did this 3 times between 2 black supras 15yrs ago, and yes just for rock damage. Came out beautiful and blended perfectly fine with the rear of the car all buffed and detailed. I cruised my car for years to come as was one of the cleanest daily driven supras on the road. Now, of course this was with a great quality prep and paint - done by myself, an anal bastard when it comes to painting and buffing shit correctly. So, that's the trickiest part - finding the right GUY (not just the shop's name) to put his hands on the job and do you right. Besides, painting the front half is much cheaper than the entire car + moldings, yada yada yada....and with THAT, you'll have even MUCH more flaws to worry about by the time the shop is done squeezing you out of their way, heh.

Edit: as far as resale value etc..well that's just a matter of opinion on all levels. Can't say there's 1 correct answer for that concern.

Agreed, a black car with great paint should be very easy to blend in a newly painted piece. As far as I know, both bumpers on my car have been repainted in the last several hundred miles and they're damn nice. Never noticed any differences because the rest of the car is in almost as good of shape. In my opinion, as someone that was searching for a mid to high-ish end MKIV just several months back, I would rather a car have a perfect repainted bumper than an all original one covered in rock chips and bug guts. As far as the whole car goes, I would rather see a car with as much factory paint as possible, if and only if it's in great shape or can be made that way with a serious paint correction. Anything less than great, paint the whole damn thing. I also wasn't looking for a bone stock low mile museum car either, so it could really go both ways.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts