Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car is black and the paint is in great condition all around but the right side door has a couple dents and is a bit scrached up... so I am wanting to get it redone.

Is there anything special needed to get the paint matching good for BLACK 202 ?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Have the shop that can do good blending take the job. And after the new paint and old is properly buffed it should match fine with the same paint code. 202 black is 99.9%black and like .001 parts yellow (so they can call it a unique color).

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
OEM black Supras don't have clearcoat

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
i had thought that if you laid down anything with a clearcoat top that you had to feather and blend the clear otherwise youll have some visible paint lines.??
a what? I have no idea what you mean, as Nick said,black MKIV's did not come clearcoated and even if they did, there is no need to blend/feather or whatever you speak of to get the color right. Whoever is mixing the paint needs to spend sime time matching the color ,that's all.Now if a car has metallic/pearl paint,usually it would be best to scuff, prep adjacent panels ,blend some of new paint on and clearcoat full panels,unless its a small spot that need repair.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
a what? I have no idea what you mean, as Nick said,black MKIV's did not come clearcoated and even if they did, there is no need to blend/feather or whatever you speak of to get the color right. Whoever is mixing the paint needs to spend sime time matching the color ,that's all.Now if a car has metallic/pearl paint,usually it would be best to scuff, prep adjacent panels ,blend some of new paint on and clearcoat full panels,unless its a small spot that need repair.
i was just assuming that the OP's car didnt have original black. its hard to find a car that hasn't been repainted unless its one of the completely stock <30k mile mint cars.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
and i wasnt talking about the color matching, black will lay over black no problem, whether it is old or new obviously as a quick buff is required after paint anyway to get the surfaces to match in texture. i was talking more along the lines of having a visible clear line over a base/clear paint on black.

i'm not an expert obviously but i had seen lots of different paint jobs done by a friend who would melt the clear on almost any repair job, whether it was a metallic color, or a basic base color, in order to get it to match, otherwise i had seen some spots that didnt turn out very well and you had a faintly visible line where the new clear stopped and the old paint began.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
and i wasnt talking about the color matching, black will lay over black no problem, whether it is old or new obviously as a quick buff is required after paint anyway to get the surfaces to match in texture. i was talking more along the lines of having a visible clear line over a base/clear paint on black.

i'm not an expert obviously but i had seen lots of different paint jobs done by a friend who would melt the clear on almost any repair job, whether it was a metallic color, or a basic base color, in order to get it to match, otherwise i had seen some spots that didnt turn out very well and you had a faintly visible line where the new clear stopped and the old paint began.

I still don't understand what line you're talking about when panel painting. If anyone decides to blend within panel and do a fade ,usually it's done with special blend solvent or aerosol version made by just about any paint line, I prefer Fade Out made by U-Pol when doing spot repairs,it yeilds nearly undetectable results, but in OP's situation this type of procedure would not be ideal IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts