Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people out there had the glass cut out of the car when they did a complete repaint. I took the car to the painter today and he thinks I might have to have all the glass cut out. How much did people pay to have all the glass cut out and replaced? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Do it right the first time, remove the glass.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
your painter is right, and to cut all glass,replace front and back molding and install the glass back in will cost anywhere from $300 up ,plust the cost of the moldings,they run about $100 for both ,front and back,depending if you have the interior out , cause to get to the quarter glass you have to take rear seats and all the plastic trim starting from the trunk going forward to the doors

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
If your re-painting the same color, I would atleast pull all the molding and keep the glass in if your short on the $$$.

If you changing the color, pull everything

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
remove the glass

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
one thing I forgot to mention ,after WhiteBlazze reply, if you don't want to spend alot of money and keeping it same color, you can tell the painter to use "trim making tape" made by 3M #06349 ,it's made to lift the edge of the rubber moldings so new paint can get under there and once paint is cured , just remove it and it will look like the glass was pulled
Stefan

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
or save for a few more weeks and pull the glass :dunno:

·
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Money is not that much of an issue. I am going to have him just pull the glass, I can get a brand new windshield for 125 installedand mine has a few pits in it. Thanks for the info guys. I decided to keep it stock red. I was going to do a full color change but I did't want to pull everything on the car including the engine.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Sooco100pf said:
I decided to keep it stock red. I was going to do a full color change but I did't want to pull everything on the car including the engine.
If you're going to do a total repaint and you're going to keep it red you can always choose another shade of red. Notice how on most cars engine bays and such don't always match the exterior color. Metallics aren't always metallic under the hood.

This is a chance for you to change the exterior color to something more appealing and custom. Don't pass it up (unless you REALLY just want the stock color). As long as you keep the exterior to another shade of red, you'll be OK with the engine bay as renaissance red

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
That's true. My bros brand new STi is blue onthe outside, but under the hood it's a much duller blue almost black color. Deff does not match the oustide tone of the paint.

A friend of mine had his red supra repainted to a RSP tyle color. Under the hood stayed red for awhile. When doing the NA-T install, with mostly everything out of the way he took a rattle can of black to the red areas under the hood. Greatly enhanced the overall look without really telling it was from a spray can. It also seemed to match the custom paint on the outside he had pretty well.

·
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking that as long as it was going to keep the car red I might as well stay with Ren. Red because of the effect on resale value. Do you guys think that repainting a supra with a different shade of red will negatively effect the resale value of the car?

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
not if it's done right (ie. pull the glass ;) ) and using good quality paint and materials

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Yep, pull the glass. No matter if a color change or not. But peeling the seals back from the windshield and hatch glass is okay as long as you use the tape exvelocity mentioned. The trick to that tape though is the user.....its a little tricky to use properly/to your full advantage, but only if your painter is a lazy ass with zero patience, lol.

The quarter glasses are a pain in the dick IMO....but all still worth it. In fact, if I had to choose, I'd definitely pull those over ANY other mkiv glass. Even while they are a pain in the dick. That molding is just WAY too tight against the quarters and WILL look like azz if they remain.

Edit: I had an independant glass guy pull the hatch glass and reinstall it all for $60. Cant remember what the molding cost....under $100. So, that's worth it! About the same for the front glass. I pulled the quarters myself but he installed them for like $40 I think. Basically, it's not an arm and a leg to pull the glass....and the advantages fuckin rock :D

·
Registered
487 Posts

My painter (brad samuels) left in the rear and front windows but bought new/removed quarters. Can't tell if the molding is in the front still, I have no idea what it looked like anymore been too long without the Supra. But ya, if anything, remove the quarters.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Your front seal is removed.

;)

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
816 Posts
rear seal is like $39 from Curt. Glass has to be out to reinstall the seal and then drop the glass with seal attached in. Thats how to do it correctly, per the manual.

Problem is, I have to have somone cut my glass out. Its a PITA and I dont have the proper tools.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
Just have a mobile glass installer do it, I know it's not gonna be much and definately will be worth it, and I'm speaking for everyone that appreciates a quality paint job.trust me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts