Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hardtopper
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching google and SF but nothing came up.. maybe I am not using the right keywords or something.... but do any of you know how to repair intercooler fins? Some of the fins are bent up and what not... i dont want to make it worse by using the wrong tool to straighten them out... maybe its easier than I think it is... thanks guys

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
You can buy a repair tool, just search for radiator repair on google. I took a small flat screwdriver and straightened up the fins on my SMIC, it took about 2 hours though.

Jason

·
Hardtopper
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea this crap might take forever.. its a big fmic

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,116 Posts
You could try the tool designed to straighten the fins on an AC’s condenser coil. I believe it’s called a coil comb. I’m somewhat anal about bent fins myself and I just use a sharp thin knife and hang out, sitting on the ground carefully working on them until they look straight.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
or you can use 2 butter knives and squeeze the 2 tips together and pull outward on the fin. i did an HKS 4-core and Apex GTR core like this. turned out like new.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've been looking at the same exact tool, I've found it for about 1/2 that price, I haven't ordered it yet so I will have to search again to find the place I saw it at.

B.Kidd

·
J-Spec 4 Life
938 Posts
i used a small needle nose pliers
although only one of my fins were bent

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I used a combination of the above mentioned. I used tweezers, small flat head, and small needle nose depending on what part I was doing.

After I was done (did it off the car), I also flushed the core through with brake cleaner and let it stand to dry after. Might as well clean inside and out :).

·
Hardtopper
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input guys... I dont have work Wednesday so I guess this wil give me something to do for the whole day it seems.... LOL

·
T-Power
1,625 Posts
Tweezers! i used to use a pair of flat head, but it's just a pain and takes too long. Get a tweezer that is wide and flat, it'll take you less than 20min to straigh out a intercooler full of dents.

like one of these ->
I bought this one from CVS for $4

·
Registered
408 Posts
if it doesnt look to bad i would just let it be. a small area wont hurt a thing or block too much air. most aftermarket i/c systems are overkill anyways, but if your going for looks use the tweezers. they worked for me as well. keep them in your glovebox because youll need them weekly if you drive in cali!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
personally, i use tweezers as well! never posted about straightening the fins on my FMIC, but tweezers have worked wonders for me so far - i actually keep a pair in my glovebox! ;)

-jim

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
actually, tweezers wont work at all on an intercooler w/ fins that are bent so far over that they are touching the next fin. you cant get the tip of the tweezers down betwen the 2 fins when they are touching. you need to use a sharp tip knife, like a steak knife. then you can use the 2 butter knives or tweezers.

the Apex GTR core that i had was gigantic and looked like it was in the trunk of a car sliding around with shit stacked on it, every fin was bent to some degree. took me about 2 hours to get them all fixed. and tweezers wasnt cutting it, the 2 butter knives were quicker

1 - 17 of 17 Posts