Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
painted cf hood advocate
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching, but the search feature is down. I was wondering if anyone has any advice replacing the engine mounts, one of mine is blown. I'm upgrading to trd and since my car is a 94, I will be using the stock bracket. The FSM does not show to replace them either. The motor is still in the car btw.
thanks
Vyas.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'm starting to think I'm the only one around here that the search is working for. Wonder why it's not working for everyone else? Last year I had the search problem :dunno:

Anyway, I could only find two posts that talk about it. I wouldn't put a jack under the oil pan though like one recommends. Screw that up and you are in for a nightmare. But you need to jack the engine up a little.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221546&highlight=engine+mounts

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49933&highlight=engine+mounts

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem putting a jack under the oil pan as long as there is a block of wood or something used as a buffer so you don't indent the pan.

Oh I don't believe you put anything into searching because it works for me. :ugh2:

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
engine hoist. loosen nuts. raise motor 2". replace mounts, drop motor. tighten nuts.

done.

·
painted cf hood advocate
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
98mkiv said:
engine hoist. loosen nuts. raise motor 2". replace mounts, drop motor. tighten nuts.

done.
Did you have to remove the brackets inorder to replace the mounts, or did you remove the motor motor mounts without removing the brackets?

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
motor mounts have a stud and nut on either end. do not remove the brackets.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
easiest safest way is to use an engine hoist. You can jack the engine up using the front area of the upper oil pan just behind the crank pulley area, but make sure its done safely. LAST thing you want is to bump the jack and end up loosing a few fingers.

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
Remove your fan shroud, unhook power steering lines, disconnect intercooler pipes, disconnect coolant hose from waterneck

jack up the car and loosen trans mount...

connect engine hoist, making sure that the hoist is centered over the engine (otherwise when you lift the motor mounts may not line up again, which can be a pain in the ass)

now jack up engine hoist till there is no slack...

i suggest removing the nuts from the top of the engine mounts first... then lifting the motor about 2 inches, and removing the nuts from the bottom

^the above is my method... it was the quickest, and most painless for me... took about an hour with 5 cig breaks

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
swearitsstock said:
Remove your fan shroud, unhook power steering lines, disconnect intercooler pipes, disconnect coolant hose from waterneck

jack up the car and loosen trans mount...

connect engine hoist, making sure that the hoist is centered over the engine (otherwise when you lift the motor mounts may not line up again, which can be a pain in the ass)

now jack up engine hoist till there is no slack...

i suggest removing the nuts from the top of the engine mounts first... then lifting the motor about 2 inches, and removing the nuts from the bottom

^the above is my method... it was the quickest, and most painless for me... took about an hour with 5 cig breaks

Isn't it more painful then this if you have the stock twins?? What else would be involved?

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
mifesto said:
1 hour? riiiiight.. w/ a fully equipped shop and lift :)
nope... no lift here, yet....

if you have stock twins its more difficult to attack the top of the motor mount...

youll have to do a reacharound from under the car for the passenger side motor mount

in all honesty, if you work dilligently, and this is your first time, it will take 3 hours.... (thats given that you have all the tools you need and know how to use all of them properly)

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
^^ you said reacharound :gaysex:

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
it may not be necessary to drop the tranny cross member depending on if you are 6 spd or AT.

just out of curiosity, what makes you think your mounts are bad?

·
painted cf hood advocate
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have an auto.
I have a popping noise, and also when I removed the bolt from the bottom of the motor mount on one of the motor mounts, the stud came out with it, even though I didn't remove the nut from the top.

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
1 hour in a shop? I did mine in 20 min. It's only two mounts and a couple nuts total. I can't imagine doing this without an impact wrench though. Makes my arm tired thinking about it. Oh BTW I have done these on the ground in about an hour and 1/2. It's not hard. Don't get intimidated.

Loosen from block bracket. Jack up motor. Loosen from Subframe. Reverse steps to install.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
blaze15 said:
I have an auto.
I have a popping noise, and also when I removed the bolt from the bottom of the motor mount on one of the motor mounts, the stud came out with it, even though I didn't remove the nut from the top.
Let us know how that motor mount is going to fix the popping noise...

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
What kind of poping noise? A broken mount should sound more like a banging/something is loose.

MtFujiSupra said:
Let us know how that motor mount is going to fix the popping noise...
If the mount is broken, the motor can twist and bang around the engine bay. There are only two engine mounts.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
97TT6SP said:
^^ you said reacharound :gaysex:

:rofl: :wtflol: :gaysex: :crossjerk :drama: :69: :yum: :eatme: :facesjump :run: :lol:

·
4 T's and an X
2,126 Posts
I have a 97 and switched to TRD mounts. It was not fun. Had a lift also. Had to change out the motor mount bracket too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts