Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The power steering lines that run from the pump to the rack leak on both of the 88's. Is there anything better to replace these with?? I was thinking of getting some large brake lines and flaring the ends and using new fittings so there is no more rubber in there. Good idea bad idea? This seems to be a problem with the mk3, leaky power steering that is. Has anyone figured out a solution, aside from replacing with a mustang manual rack (wich I have thought about, but am not ready to do just yet).

Ken

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
the stock lines are fine, replacing them is a major pain, but think of how long they lasted before they went...

Like any rubber item they will rot/crack especially from heat...

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thats true, theyve lasted pretty long so far, and I dont plan to keep the car for another 15-20 years, but still there has to be some sort of upgrade?? I cant see why they used rubber in the first place. The TSRM says minimum pressure should be 1,067 psi. Holy shit, that is a lot of pressure to be putting into a rubber hose. Thats why I thought of using brake lines, they must hold more than that, and they hold up pretty well so who knows.

Also, someone told me you need to use some sort of special tool to get them off?? WTF?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
nope, no special tools, but it's NOT fun as they snake through the engine bay...

can't use hardlines since the motor moves, and the rubber is usually fine since it's heavily reinforced. I've seen hardlines fail too from rust on the inside, and the same is generally true of rubber...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts