Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, kinda time for me to get this car back on its feet looking and working 100% again.

Only holdback now is turbo....my turbos are blown, its alot of trouble to take them out on the spacing i have and since im going with a single turbo later on, im buying a manifold as well.....I just want to find out what turbo would be best to get similar spooling(does'nt have to be exact) or wont spool to quick and lose top end. I'll be making a flange for the turbo to work on the manifold until i get a proper big single turbo.

Heres the list of turbos i've come across what i think might work(might not thats why i ask here) and the price is cheap for a temp. replacement(believe, way cheaper than stock twins):
SR20DET's T25 Turbo
(I'll believe this is too small but i'll ask about it anyways)

RX7 Rotary Turbo
(Might get little lag? From watching the backing of the turbo, ITS HUGE for stock)

Mitsu TD07 Turbo
(Getting to see this one today, the guy said its really big and it might give lots of lag, but he said his lag was alot on a 2.0L)

So far my only aim is the Rotary turbo bcuz i no those engines use big backends and the turbos can push about 12psi Safely, or even 14.The compressor side looks pretty decent sized.

Thanks guys, need to know by ending of next week. Car needs to paint, but i wanna get things in the engine finished with

·
Registered
330 Posts
Unless you are going to run the twins from a rotary, the single HT18 turbo off of a Series 4 or series 5 rotary is TINY. The efficiency range peaks at 13 PSI and I would be willing to bet that with the low velocity of a 1j compared to a rotary you would cut your CFM (flow) in half. I will post a pic of it V a to4b and a 60-1 when I get home from work.....

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
t61 with a .58 or .68 hot side. Thats what im gonna run.

~scott

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
I have stock CT12A turbos in really good shape i can sell you for $200 shipped. I had a sale pending but not paid yet.

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you are going to run the twins from a rotary, the single HT18 turbo off of a Series 4 or series 5 rotary is TINY. The efficiency range peaks at 13 PSI and I would be willing to bet that with the low velocity of a 1j compared to a rotary you would cut your CFM (flow) in half. I will post a pic of it V a to4b and a 60-1 when I get home from work.....

...............................................................................................................................................
lol was lazy to press quote.

well, when i saw the turbo i thought it could have worked for a little while due to the compressor side looking like the sr20's T28 turbo from an s15 and the backing being very huge, even bigger than a stock RB25DET's turbo backing.

Just got a call today, should get back a job thursday :D so now i can pick out of all turbos and use whichever for the next 2-3 months till i get $$ to go with a bigggggie

·
that twin 2jz guy
2,595 Posts
get a set of twin t28s... the hks twins are the same size.. are u gonna run tubular manifold or a y-pipe???

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
For all the work and custom fab you will do, just get another good set of twins for $200 or so.

It's worth it when they just go right in easily, you will become good at installing a set. I've seen a few guys try to mickey mouse a single setup and in the end just wished for the twins back.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
If your staying under the 400rwhp range, the stock twins are the best money can buy. Get some cams, an ecu (power fc, aem), tubular turbo stuff, small fmic, ele fans, lsd, 440cc injectors, a mbc set at 1 bar, etc.. and enjoy a nice high 12sec daily driver that gets 20mpg.

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^You make an awesome point there....i have an FMIC already, electric fans, LSD, and a MBC coming soon.

I think the reason my twins blew is because the mechanic i had it by maxed out the turbos boost...the BOV was leaking, and well he unplugged the lines on teh wastegate, so i figure the turbos were maxing out but only delivering 13-14psi total with the leak, while its really pushing out maybe 18-20 or how much the twins can give max. Thats my opinion on how i think they blew tho lol.

But, what about the twin CT20's off the Aristo? they look bolt up, and i have enough space by the firewall to put them.

I would order from one of you guys stock twins but the shipping is the killer :S and are'nt the steel bladed twins supposed to be better for running about 1 bar?

Since im getting this job, im not thinking of temporary replacement now lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts