Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any good options for replacing the stock power steering pump reservoir because mine is quite dirty and most likely has a very dirty and clogged filter screen. Are the 3" aluminum one on ebay or similar a good replacement?
Thanks

·
Registered
982 Posts
I either saw a billet power steering reservoir from suprasport or driftmotion. Leaning more towards driftmotion though. Looked pretty nice

·
Registered
197 Posts
nice six pack. OP get crative and make one. or do what i did and buy a huge chunk of aluminum, turn it and bore it, machine some cooling fins, thread it and then realize that it is way to big and use it as a tool box ornament

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Excuse my ignorance but if I get an aftermarket reservoir what fitting do I use and how do I connect them to the stock pump?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
serbian by blood!!!
1,675 Posts
If you get the one that uses regular rubber hose like oem, you would simply buy new Power steering hose from Auto Zone for example and run your lines, might have to take off throttle body to have better access to the top of the pump to be able to connect hose

·
7M Fanatic
3,266 Posts
If AN fittings, just buy AN to hose barb fittings.
That is what I did........

Just go on eBay, and search 'aluminum power steering reservoir', or 'finned aluminum power steering reservoir'.
There are hundreds of them up there, including one like mine, without the filter option.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What did you do for a filter? Do the aluminum ones have a filter included?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
I found this in Japan, but it's US made, and I have seen them on eBay once in a while.
Finned for heat disapation, and takes a screw on oil filter on the bottom :)
Do you still run a power steering cooler, or just the reservoir?

I read some threads that mentioned the filter will restrict the flow, possibly starving the pump. Is that a concern do you think?

·
7M Fanatic
3,266 Posts
Never run a cooler on it.

The only way you would restrict the pump, is if you put the filter on the suction line.
This one only filters the return oil, and is pretty much standard industrial hydraulic practice.
Even engine oiling systems put the filter after the pump, not on the inlet.

By the way, my reservoir was made by Appleton, but looks to be discontinued.
Shown here, but when you try to click on it, it's no longer a live link.
http://www.hrpworld.com/store/default/engine-accessories/power-steering-components-and-supplies.html

And when you go to the Appleton web site, they still do some power steering stuff, but no longer show these reservoirs.

There is one on eBay right now, but without the filter option.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
Ya I've found a few, most seem to be chinese copies though. Howe and KRC make versions, but they are more expensive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts