Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I think the starter is toast. I know the 7M will bolt up to the 1J, but it suffers from heat soak problems. The starter that came on the clip is smaller and easier to work with. Does anyone know if the 2JZ starter will bolt on to the 1JZ. I prefer not to go with the 7M if I can avoid it, too many problems in the summer with heatsoaking. (I have replaced the contacts a few times on the 7M starter with no relief).

Thanks,

Marty

·
Registered
586 Posts
I know you dont wanna use it but Im using the mk3 starter. If you get one, MAKE SURE you get a 91-92 version as they have threaded holes as apposed to the 86-90 which dont. Just a lil easier to catch. Ask me how I know!

·
Registered
923 Posts
nice to know, because by the time I get this timing sorted out, im going to need a new one...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Im using the newer version of the 7m, an havent had any problems with it.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Mine is going on the blink. It seems to work when hot, but the starter won't kick when the car is cold. I have to sit around and click the ignition over and over until it decides to turn.

I wasn't sure if it's the starter itself or contacts.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
HamsMKIII said:
Mine is going on the blink. It seems to work when hot, but the starter won't kick when the car is cold. I have to sit around and click the ignition over and over until it decides to turn.

AHHH, the phantom "no start" strikes again. My car used to do this, we narrowed it down to somewhere between the ignition switch and the starter solinoid, not the starter. So I just wired in a simple realy, and used the oem trigger wire to switch the realy, which is wired directly to the battery through a fuse, and no more problems in two years scince.

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,992 Posts
I had that same problem ON BOTH of my Jz's

But I just made the ground thicker on my negative terminal and have never had any more problems. Starts 1st crank every time now.

·
i <3 supra
1,254 Posts
HamsMKIII said:

same thing happened to me, so i just replaced

·
Akai Suisei - &#36196;&#12356;&#24407;&#26143;
10,376 Posts
me and a couple other local members have that issue.

I've just been living with it. It'll start right up in the morning, but after the car's warmed up, it's a dice roll. takes a few clicks.

I just live with it. It always starts anyway. good wrist workout.:nervous:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 7M starters suffered from heat soak. When we had the 7M motor in, I replaced at least 3 starters. When the summer hit, the car ran for a while, it would take almost 35-45 minutes to cool down to start again. I must add, the starter I put in was a reman'd from Autozone from WorldWide Mfg. I won't use their stuff again. I bought a Bosch from PepBoys and hopefully the Bosch reman from Japan is better than the WW Mfg from China.

Marty

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Marty1MC said:
The 7M starters suffered from heat soak. When we had the 7M motor in, I replaced at least 3 starters. When the summer hit, the car ran for a while, it would take almost 35-45 minutes to cool down to start again. I must add, the starter I put in was a reman'd from Autozone from WorldWide Mfg. I won't use their stuff again. I bought a Bosch from PepBoys and hopefully the Bosch reman from Japan is better than the WW Mfg from China.

Marty

Perhaps you should get a starter blanket from Summit or Jeg's or the like. Also, you might consider a larger guage wire to the battery.

- Chris

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the saga continues. The 2JZ starter has a different connector for the solenoid pick wire. In looking around, it seems the only one that will work is from a 92 Supra. I looked through all my scrap harnesses from the conversion and I don't have a connector that will fit it. I really don't want to butcher a new starter to put on a different connector.

Has the guys using 2JZ starters had this problem? What did you do to solve it?

Thanks,

Marty

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same issue as I ordered a new starter from Driftmotion. I installed the new starter for my SC300 2JZGTE but the connector is different. After researching online, I found this website that supplies the correct connector for the starter. The company is called Wiring Specialties located in Brookfield,CT. This is a link to their site.
https://store-b03t074.mybigcommerce.com/search.php?search_query="2jz+starter"&Search=

1 - 16 of 16 Posts