Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any special tools I would need to do this myself? I am on my 3rd and dont need a new one yet, but was thinking it is probably not too difficult a job...??? Is it hard to do? Can a mechanically deficient person like myself do it?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will have to think about that before I do it....

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Jeff, my clutch actually went out 2 weeks ago and I just did it myself for the very first time. How mechanically deficient are you? What have you done? The job is a piece of cake.

For a quick rundown
-Exhaust has to come off
-Downpipe has to come off (3 bolts from header to 2 bolts to exhaust
-Driveshaft needs to go: 3 bolts on one end, 4 bolts on the other. The pipe wrench is needed to get the large nut loosened.
-Shift knob needs to come off entirely as the tranny needs to get dropped. ( 2 bolts at the shift linkage )
-2 Harness clips on both sides of the tranny need to be unclipped.
-2 bolts for clutch cylinder plus ground
-a lot of bolts around the tranny itself.
-Positive cable has to be removed.
-Crossmembers
-6 bolts on clutch itself which are revealed by unbolting the metal plates on both side.
-2 bolts to remove starter. On one of the bolts that connect to the starter, I tried a small socket and open wrench but there just wasn't enough room to play around w/ to get that top bolt off. There are about 4 bolts on the very top of the bellhousing tranny itself. I used 2 extensions to get the bolts removed. Each extension was about a foot and a half long . Push down on the tranny to get the extension and socket over...literally over the tranny itself and a wrench on the other end to have them removed. You would literally be un screwing the top bolts off from behind the tranny area.

Everything is pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have limited tools at my house, I have done some things. I have replaced the starter sylinoid on my MKIII back when I had it. It was a total bitch to get to though.. I think the only tools I would be missing is the tool to get the bearings out. I only have 2 jhack stands as well.

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
Your def going to need 4 jacks stands. I couldnt imagine doing it with only 2. You may be able to get by with basic 3/8 tools, but some half inch tools will help. Also going to need a pipe wrench. The list of tools are on there. Plan on a full day of work if its your first time.

J

·
0 Posts
I did mine with two jackstands. I just didn't pull the transmission out from under the car. The hardest part of the job is definitely lowering and raising the transmission. It's heavy (~125lbs), and there's not much leverage when you're on your back under the car.

Jim

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
You all are right it won't work since the tool arms are too big. Go figure Toyota would've made a larger TOB for the Supra. The autozone guy I talked to was pretty cool considering after I broke one of their 100 dollar torque wrenches he adviced me to cut one of the arms shorter so it would fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts