Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any special tools I would need to do this myself? I am on my 3rd and dont need a new one yet, but was thinking it is probably not too difficult a job...??? Is it hard to do? Can a mechanically deficient person like myself do it?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will have to think about that before I do it....

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Jeff, my clutch actually went out 2 weeks ago and I just did it myself for the very first time. How mechanically deficient are you? What have you done? The job is a piece of cake.

For a quick rundown
-Exhaust has to come off
-Downpipe has to come off (3 bolts from header to 2 bolts to exhaust
-Driveshaft needs to go: 3 bolts on one end, 4 bolts on the other. The pipe wrench is needed to get the large nut loosened.
-Shift knob needs to come off entirely as the tranny needs to get dropped. ( 2 bolts at the shift linkage )
-2 Harness clips on both sides of the tranny need to be unclipped.
-2 bolts for clutch cylinder plus ground
-a lot of bolts around the tranny itself.
-Positive cable has to be removed.
-Crossmembers
-6 bolts on clutch itself which are revealed by unbolting the metal plates on both side.
-2 bolts to remove starter. On one of the bolts that connect to the starter, I tried a small socket and open wrench but there just wasn't enough room to play around w/ to get that top bolt off. There are about 4 bolts on the very top of the bellhousing tranny itself. I used 2 extensions to get the bolts removed. Each extension was about a foot and a half long . Push down on the tranny to get the extension and socket over...literally over the tranny itself and a wrench on the other end to have them removed. You would literally be un screwing the top bolts off from behind the tranny area.

Everything is pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have limited tools at my house, I have done some things. I have replaced the starter sylinoid on my MKIII back when I had it. It was a total bitch to get to though.. I think the only tools I would be missing is the tool to get the bearings out. I only have 2 jhack stands as well.

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
2,501 Posts
Your def going to need 4 jacks stands. I couldnt imagine doing it with only 2. You may be able to get by with basic 3/8 tools, but some half inch tools will help. Also going to need a pipe wrench. The list of tools are on there. Plan on a full day of work if its your first time.

G

·
I did mine with two jackstands. I just didn't pull the transmission out from under the car. The hardest part of the job is definitely lowering and raising the transmission. It's heavy (~125lbs), and there's not much leverage when you're on your back under the car.

Jim

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
95BPUplus said:
ive rented that one also.. It wont fit our pilot bearing.. too big.
Yeah it's too big, but if you take off one of the "fingers" that go into the bearing, so you only have one on there, you can use the gingle finger to wark your way around the bearing and pull it out. It's not great, but it can be done.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
You all are right it won't work since the tool arms are too big. Go figure Toyota would've made a larger TOB for the Supra. The autozone guy I talked to was pretty cool considering after I broke one of their 100 dollar torque wrenches he adviced me to cut one of the arms shorter so it would fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.