Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,328 Posts
Jeff, my clutch actually went out 2 weeks ago and I just did it myself for the very first time. How mechanically deficient are you? What have you done? The job is a piece of cake.

For a quick rundown
-Exhaust has to come off
-Downpipe has to come off (3 bolts from header to 2 bolts to exhaust
-Driveshaft needs to go: 3 bolts on one end, 4 bolts on the other. The pipe wrench is needed to get the large nut loosened.
-Shift knob needs to come off entirely as the tranny needs to get dropped. ( 2 bolts at the shift linkage )
-2 Harness clips on both sides of the tranny need to be unclipped.
-2 bolts for clutch cylinder plus ground
-a lot of bolts around the tranny itself.
-Positive cable has to be removed.
-Crossmembers
-6 bolts on clutch itself which are revealed by unbolting the metal plates on both side.
-2 bolts to remove starter. On one of the bolts that connect to the starter, I tried a small socket and open wrench but there just wasn't enough room to play around w/ to get that top bolt off. There are about 4 bolts on the very top of the bellhousing tranny itself. I used 2 extensions to get the bolts removed. Each extension was about a foot and a half long . Push down on the tranny to get the extension and socket over...literally over the tranny itself and a wrench on the other end to have them removed. You would literally be un screwing the top bolts off from behind the tranny area.

Everything is pretty straight forward.

· Registered
2,328 Posts
You all are right it won't work since the tool arms are too big. Go figure Toyota would've made a larger TOB for the Supra. The autozone guy I talked to was pretty cool considering after I broke one of their 100 dollar torque wrenches he adviced me to cut one of the arms shorter so it would fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.