Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in repair maual it shows 2 drain location, 1 from radiator, and 1 from engine block. does anyone know where exactly the engine block drain bolt is located?
is it really necessary to drian from the block together with radiator?

also, I'm thinking of flushing/cleaning my cooling system, I know I can flush the radiator, but can I flush the engine block?

thanx for your help

Jonas

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
The engine drain bolt is a bitch to get to. Get underneath and look where the oil filter is. ALmost exactly on the other side of the engine you'll see a bolt. Hard to describe it other than typical hexhead bolt. Sorry I can't be more specific. It isn't too hard to get to it. I've done the coolant twice now and it's relatively painless.

If you choose to only drain the radiator, you'll drain 7 quarts, leaving ~3 quarts in the engine.

Eric
95TT BPU++

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx Eric!

yeh just recently I replaced my coolant but drained only from radiator. yesterday as I was checking my overflow tank I saw about 1/2 inch of brown deposite sitting at the bottom of the tank, thats why I decided to redo the whole system and make it right.

so I will have to get underneath the car to get to the engine drain bolt hey? sucks.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
Yeah, I would. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. It is a bitch to find but once you do, it is easy to get to with a few extensions and socket. It is near a round connector (Sorry I don't know the name of it) which has a line into it. DON"T unscrew it or you'll see motor oil comin your way.
It is a very inconspicuous 10mm hexhead bolt.

I drained, flushed and ran clean water 3 times until it drained almost clear.

Have fun!

Eric

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you use special chemical to flush the radiator? is there chemical to flush the engine block also?
so after flushing the radiator, you just pour all distilled water and make it run thru the whole system 3 times....and then pour in final mixture of coolant/distilled water correct?
sorry for asking such dumb questions....I'm new at this.

thanx

Jonas

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
No such thing as a dumb question.

Yes, I flushed with prestone super flush. Filled it with water/flush and ran for like 15 minutes. Some say to drive around on it but that makes me too nervous. I drained it and refilled with pure distilled water, ran it for like 15 minutes, and repeated. I did it three times because the first time the water was brown, the second it was lighter brown and the third time it came out relatively clean. It's up to you, really, and what you feel is "clean" enough. Finally I filled it with a mixture of one gallon toyota red and 1.5 gallons distilled water. There is some debate as to the final ratio. I am comfortable with 40%. Oh i also used redline water wetter in the final concoction.

Be sure to run your heater full blast while running. I hope someone can correct me if I am wrong but your heater core works by allowing hot coolant to travel thru it, thereby heating the air and producing heat. With it on, the flush and repeated distilled water runs clean it as well. That's what I was told anyways.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx for clearify that for me!

1 last question, what % of mixture to use with flush/water?

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
I just used the whole bottle. I believe it is one quart, poured it into empty gallon container, filled with distilled water, then poured it into radiator and topped off with another bottle of distilled water.

·
Registered
248 Posts
the drain plug on the block is next to the down pipe area. be sure to use a hose and plug it into the drain bolt than losen the bolt all the way. that way it won't spill all over your face and you can direct it to a container. i usually do this when i take out the down pipe for inspection or transmission removal.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wonder how that works? hose attached to bolt?
did you use like a garden hose and let the bolt slip thru it after taken loosen it and just held the hose uptight against the drain hole?
yeh last time when I was chagning my thermostat I got coolant all over my face and mouth, not pleasant.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
it was kinda messy. I didn't use anything. I udid the bolt enough that some coolant started to trickle down, positioned a large diameter pan (those aluminum cooking pans you can buy at a grocery store work well) and then undid the bolt enough to get an appreciable amt of coolant flowing. All the while I was aside enough that I got nothing on me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts