Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Supra, NA, Auto, 116K Miles
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going to keep this one short. A glued part of my passenger mirror chipped off and I was thinking about just buying a new set until I saw the prices (and that $520 gets you replacements with chipped paint.)

I stumbled onto these guys from Japan Redfield OEM Mirror Cover Replacements Painted - JZA70 MA70 GA70 - RHDJapan
Looks like it's just the mirror cover (looks weird, but I'm sure it's the right part.) I REALLY want to pull the trigger on these, but not before I know if it's even possible to get the original housing off the lights.

Can you safely and/or easily remove the side mirror shell?

I figure this is a much better way to go if it's practical.

EDIT: Found a picture, I'm pretty sure there is one screw on the bottom of the shell and from what it looks like here, everything can come out in one piece, hopefully it's that easy.
Tap Plumbing fixture Sink Bathroom sink Hood

·
Registered
253 Posts
The mirrors on a MKIII Supra are held on by 3 Phillips screws behind the plastic triangle on the inside. There's also a electrical plug you need to unplug to remove it. The mirror insert comes out with that one Philips screw on the bottom by going through the hole. You should be able to find something on eBay pretty readily. I recently painted mine. See photo. This is a 86 1/2 to 88 mirror. 89 to 92 had V shape cut out between the body and the mirror. Some of the Japanese domestic market mirrors are the electrically folding type and require extra wiring and so forth.
When putting the mirror back, be careful that you plug up hole that the wiring goes through or you may hear some whistling sounds at speed. A whistling sound can also be caused by the metal strap that helps the rubber grip the window becoming out of shape and needing to be squeezed with the window down.

Automotive parking light Car Window Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
1988 Supra, NA, Auto, 116K Miles
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mirrors on a MKIII Supra are held on by 3 Phillips screws behind the plastic triangle on the inside. There's also a electrical plug you need to unplug to remove it. The mirror insert comes out with that one Philips screw on the bottom by going through the hole. You should be able to find something on eBay pretty readily. I recently painted mine. See photo. This is a 86 1/2 to 88 mirror. 89 to 92 had V shape cut out between the body and the mirror. Some of the Japanese domestic market mirrors are the electrically folding type and require extra wiring and so forth.
When putting the mirror back, be careful that you plug up hole that the wiring goes through or you may hear some whistling sounds at speed. A whistling sound can also be caused by the metal strap that helps the rubber grip the window becoming out of shape and needing to be squeezed with the window down.
Thanks a lot man. I already blew my budget with new tires/wheels from Fitment for now, but I'll try to work with RHD Japan to see if these will work on my 88 Sup and if they can match the color.
Getting new body panels for the mirrors is pretty exciting, especially if I'm able to replace them easy enough. I assume the B-pillar plastic inside the cabin has to come out for this, but hopefully that is a simple enough job.

I've seen plenty of replacement mirrors, but IMO these are the best mirrors I've ever seen on a car. I don't just how the Supra does it, but so many parts on this car are just flawless looking and flush.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts